• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Console shift needs some attention

440fish

Local time
6:19 AM
Reaction score
The console shift on my 69 SB / 727 is in need of some "freshening." While the tranny shifts real nice the shift lever / linkage leaves some to be desired. Most of the detents for 1,2, D are somewhat soft and i need to "feel" my way through the gears. Where should i be looking first in order to tighten all of this up? I see they sell a linkage rods / bushings rebuild kit and also a reproduction shifter assembly is available. Unfortunately it looks like it isn't going to be a cheap repair. If i need both kits its around $500...

Also, can this be done right in the car or will i need to drop the tranny?

thanks in advance!

It sound like a bushing kit should fix you up and you won't have to remove transmission but you will need to remove the console on a a body on a b body just the top plate

It sound like a bushing kit should fix you up and you won't have to remove transmission but you will need to remove the console on a a body on a b body just the top plate

Ok thanks. Will this fix the side to side slop as well? I think it wobbles side to side way more than it should.

Any idea where to locate a bushing kit? Classic and Year 1 don't list any.

The detents are in the valve body....meaning a spring and ball on a rooster tail for the "clicks". That's where I would look first. Get to the root of the problem.

Herb
Transpro Transmissions
Houston, Tx.
281-332-5405

Ok thanks. Will this fix the side to side slop as well? I think it wobbles side to side way more than it should.

Any idea where to locate a bushing kit? Classic and Year 1 don't list any.

Rick Ehrenburg on Ebay at ricks-mopars sells them.

Here's a link to the bushings but they are $4 each.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-A727-904-Trans-Shifter-Linkage-Bushings-Grommets-TorqueFlite-340-440-Hemi-/321313038634?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4acfbfe12a

Auto Transport Service
Back