• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cordoba Stalling at low speeds

real0803

Local time
1:52 AM
Reaction score
My 76 Cordoba stalls at low speeds . I pop it into neutral and start it back up. God forbid if it happens in the freeway. It happened twice on a 5 minute drive . What do you think it could be ? I have my orginal thermoquad carb that was rebuilt installed, prior to that, I had another carb it was doing the same thing . Please give me input on what to check .

Last edited:
Did these cars have lockup torque converter yet? It could be that.

No, I don't think so.

I had a similar symptom years ago and it was the distributor bushing was too tight/dry.
No saying it's the problem but it was a surprise. Ran fine at higher speeds but wouldnt idle.

Dave ,
I believe my 76 did not have a lock up torque converter . It uses a non conventional non lock up torque converter as a part of its Torqueflite automatic transmission .

No, I don't think so.

I had a similar symptom years ago and it was the distributor bushing was too tight/dry.
No saying it's the problem but it was a surprise. Ran fine at higher speeds but wouldnt idle.

No, I don't think so.

Is it easy to adjust lube or replace a 76 Cordoba distributor bushing? What is the steps of doing it ?Do you need a special tool to get down there? I don't drive it much because of the stalling .

Last edited:
Need more info. Stalls at idle? While driving? Could be vapour lock.......or many other things.

Need more info. Stalls at idle? While driving? Could be vapour lock.......or many other things.
Edit :

Hello it does not stall at idle at all. I could be at a stop light or just keep the car running to warm the engine up , the car will definitely stays on .The lean burn was uninstalled back in the 90's .The car only stalls when I'm driving at speeds 5 to 10 per hour . My foot is barely on the gas pedal when it happens .

Last edited:
Hello it doesn't not stall at idle at all. I could be at a stop light or just keep the car running to warm the engine up , the car will definitely stay on .Only when I'm driving maybe speeds at 5 to 10 miles . My foot is barely on the gas pedal when it happens .
If you weren't in California I would suggest eliminating the lean burn.
They were notorious for problems this might be the problem.

As far as the distributor. You can carefully mark the bottom of the case where it touches the block (put a piece of tape and then cut it or take a knife blade and make a line.
Take a picture of which way the rotor is pointing.
Remove the cap and unplug the pickup wires and pull it out.
It should spin freely and have a slight endplay (up and down on the shaft).
If it requires any effort to spin then you need to disassemble most of the guts to oil the bronze bushing, or install a new one.
It's likely fine.

While you have it out it would be a good idea to check the reluctor gap.
You need a non-magnetic feeler gauge 0.008 - 0.010" should be the clearance between the pickup and the reluctor.

Auto Transport Service
Back