• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coupe VS hardtop

mjb765

Local time
4:51 PM
Reaction score
Another dumb question...looking at a 70 Road Runner...what is the difference between a coupe (RM21) and a hardtop (RM23) ?? Substantial difference in the pricing guides, but looking at it--I must be missing something obvious?

In the 69's RM21= pillar between front and rear windows
RM23= No pillar.
Should be the same for the 70's...I think

good to know...thanks

Can't figure out why the coupe with the "B" pillar would be so much more money

So I looked it up.....they did made fewer coupes...but I can't get the chart to post properly--looks good on edit, but doesn't look right when it posts..oh well...you get the idea

Engine/Transmission Coupe Hardtop Convertible
383-4 3-speed 1,330 584 13
383-4 4-speed 5,839 7,993 179
383-4 automatic 6,888 11,639 429

I think they also made fewer of them..
Petty Blue 67 gtx
Kinda odd because when the Road Runner first came out, all you could get was the coupe.....

Another difference - the coupes have the flip-out rear side windows, the hardtops have roll-down rear side windows.

personal prefernce, I like the cleaner lines of the hardtop and pop out windows dont cut it if your riding in the back, like I had to do in my buddys car back in high school. that said I could love either car.

I love that my Road Runner is a coupe, but I'm glad that my Coronet R/T is a hdtp!
The higher lines only came in hardtop. You'll never see a R/T coupe nor a GTX coupe like this one....
MOBY.jpg

'68 Bee was coupe only. '69 you could get the HT. More Hardtops were built than coupes. Seems everybody wanted them. The Hardtops command a higher price than the coupes even though there are considerably less coupes. Lesson learned, just because there are fewer doesn't make them worth more.

Many people in the hobby today don't even know where the term hardtop comes from. It means hardtop convertible because when all of the windows are rolled down it looks the same as a convertible with the windows rolled down.

Things have changed since the old days.
Hardtops ALWAYS commanded more money, were more desirable because they were always the higher priced/optioned cars to begin with. They were also considered sportier looking.
Today with so much consideration given to old race cars and people that do race, the coupes are considered more desirable. That and because the old factory racers were sedan/coupes. They did it because those models were cheaper/lighter/stronger because of the B pillar and the body does not fex as much.

I was looking at a 70 RR coupe today, but it turned out to be not as good as described for the price the seller was looking to get. On to the next one but thanks for all the info everybody!

I know the coupes are stronger but I like the looks of a hardtop better, in just about any car model made. You can always add some sub frames to make the HT more solid..

I know the coupes are stronger but I like the looks of a hardtop better, in just about any car model made. You can always add some sub frames to make the HT more solid..

I am sure that is the case for MOST of us. The 2 door coupes and especially the 2 door sedans are typically NOT pretty cars. Some of the very early 60s Mopars have a face only a mother could love. My 66 2 door sedan Hemi car is not nearly as sharp looking as a the sleek 2 door hardtop 500.

The difference is what they stand for in terms of what people remember as the winners at the dragstrip back in the day.

Drag racers were not so interested in how they looked. They were not entering a bueaty contest but rather a race. Most were working class stiffs just racing on the weekends and had little to no backing. If they were lucky enough to be able to buy a new car for racing only or even possibly transportation as well and were serious racers, they bought the cheaper, lighter, stonger sedans.

Anyone that has expressed an interest in my car always comments on the fact that's what they remember seeing winning the races.

Sure, for racing, the Coupes were always the cars of choice because of the extra strength from the pillars. That's what I was saying in my post. But for looks I like the HT the best - my opinion at least. If I were building a race car it would be a coupe, a street car would be a hardtop, assuming I was so lucky as to have a choice :)

Auto Transport Service
Back