• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coupe VS hardtop

Love my hardtop also.
RRmag500004.jpg

I really like my 63 as a hardtop. Ron

cruisin.jpg

Yep

personal prefernce, I like the cleaner lines of the hardtop and pop out windows dont cut it if your riding in the back, like I had to do in my buddys car back in high school. that said I could love either car.
:iamwithstupid: I would tend to agree, unless your planing on racing it I think the "RM21 Post coupe" is a tad stiffer (minutely) but the "RM23 HT" lines are a lot cleaner & a little more functional, especially for passengers... If your going racing or really very fast you will put probably want to put a roll bar or a cage in it anyway, so stiffness shouldn't be an issue.... Put some 'sub frame connectors' on either it will help to stiffen them both up...

Last edited:
for style i will take my h/t:headbang:

Attachments

• 800x600.jpg
    800x600.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 363
I think the sedans have an edgier look. Interestingly, I don't think most of the brand X cars looks as good in the sedan/coupe versions.rsz_falls_020 - Copy.jpg

CharlieB very nice 69 Super Bee, I have had a bunch of both styles Post coupe & Hard tops on many different Mopars, the best thing is there all MOPARS, I really think it's just a personal preference on whether you prefer a Post Coupe or Hard top, the HT usually came with more options mostly because it wasn't the base model it was a step up & cost more when originally purchased, but there's nothing wrong with either body style, both are very nice Muscle car styling...

I've owned hardtops and coupes/sedans. Still prefer sedans, much more solid feel, and i usually like the looks of a sedan anyway (two doors, of course, four doors are for trucks lol).

I personally like the hard top but currently own a 70 V Code RR Coupe.

When I bought the car I didn't care. I just wanted a good car. I would have taken either.
PS 2.jpg

I've had several coupes (Post Cars). Obviously, I like them.

Chevy - 56 - 283 - 4 speed.JPG Chevelle - 69 - SS - Post Car.JPG Chevy - Frawley.JPG Coronet - Post Car --.JPG 68 Dart - 500.JPG Valiant - 65 Post.JPG 65 Plym - Post.JPG Valiant - 408.JPG 64 Dodge.JPG Coronet and Savoy.JPG

Had a 56 Chevy 2dr post back in the early 70's. 265 with aluminum intake, Jardine headers, Holley and 3 speed. The trans had the linkage reversed to be able to grab a good 2nd gear....

I'll take the coupe thank you......
& I'll take the Hardtops thank you

at least in the RR's 68-70 had the same roof line

in the RM21 Post Coupe
with a B-pillar post & pop out rear windows

or in the RM23 Hardtop
with NO B-pillar post , all 4 of the windows roll down,
cleaner uninterrupted lines, wide open space, less blind spots,
better window access or better ventilation, when all rolled down

if you're going to race it
it should have a roll-bar at a min. anyway
& have it tied to sub-frame connectors
I had both, made little if no differences, even going well into the 8.50's et

RM23 baby, my day 2 street car
68 RR LL1 10-29-2017 #4a PS frt.JPG

68 RR LL1 10-29-2017 #2 DS rear.JPG

Last edited:
68 and newer is a weak argument about 21 body cars strength vs 23 body.

Have you actually looked at it?

it's a trim quality sheet metal post riveted in and the same frame-less doors as a hard top.

Not at all like 67 and older with hard sedan door frames and completely different quarter panels.

Last edited:
Come over and watch me lift my Post Bee and then the Bird and you'll change your mind on that while watching the door to quarter gap. Post is not riveted in...
beerestoration2019 1581.JPG

Do you agree it's the same body and same doors with a post attached in a way other than made into the quarter panel?

Not sure how you'd like it explained. The slightly curved, formed and two part welded post is welded in between the roof rail and the internal body metal. Quarter panel is not cut and notched for a rear window protrusion. Think of it as a roof with a load bearing wall holding it up in the middle vs just both ends of the rafters sitting on walls. My Bee's door gap, door to quarter does not change one bit when on the hoist. Front fender to door gap grows about 25% at the top. Bird's gaps both grow on the hoist as the upper portion of the car lengths and the roof obviously pulls down some.

Auto Transport Service
Back