• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cylinder heads for RB stroker

eastport440

Local time
3:12 AM
Reaction score
I want to build a 572 aluminum block RB stroker. Want to use factory aluminum 6pak intake. What heads would be my best choice.

The 6-Pack intake has the standard size intake ports, so the TF-240 heads would fit the intake, but are really too small to take advantage of all 572" of displacement.
I think the six-pack only flows about what the TF-240 heads flow also? You could adapt the six-pack intake to max wedge port size heads, and if later you want more power, just change the intake and carb(s).
If I had the money for an aluminum 572, I would likely get the predator heads and tunnel ram. You could replace the dual 4-bbl tunnel ram top plate with one machined for 3 or 4 2-bbl carbs.

I want to build a 572 aluminum block RB stroker. Want to use factory aluminum 6pak intake. What heads would be my best choice.
Just to ask, why such a large displacement engine? If you want to run a stock 6-pack, a smaller engine especially in a street car will be a much better-balanced combination. A 572 with even 240 trickflow heads will have so much torque down low that it will boil the tires and run out of wind above 5,000 rpm, not to mention the fuel consumption. For example, I built a 512 for a 4x4 truck for a guy, mild pump gas engine with fuel injection, made 500HP and 550 ft. lbs guy is really happy with the power, but it gets terrible fuel mileage. And on the dyno after 5,000rpm it drops off really quick, ported 906 heads.

To me at 572 cubes that intake and carbs are taking away from that big of a motor's ability.

Just to ask, why such a large displacement engine? If you want to run a stock 6-pack, a smaller engine especially in a street car will be a much better-balanced combination. A 572 with even 240 trickflow heads will have so much torque down low that it will boil the tires and run out of wind above 5,000 rpm, not to mention the fuel consumption. For example, I built a 512 for a 4x4 truck for a guy, mild pump gas engine with fuel injection, made 500HP and 550 ft. lbs guy is really happy with the power, but it gets terrible fuel mileage. And on the dyno after 5,000rpm it drops off really quick, ported 906 heads.
Non stroker. My 446 10:7.1 zero deck 240 trickflow head, SD intake, sniper x-Flo, 236/242 544 lift @110 with HS 1.6 rockers with Rev set at 6k made 604 HP 551 ft lbs and and it was still building power but I don’t think it had too many horses left with the hydraulic roller cam so I opted not to crank it any more. I love the sound of the build and cam but it only has 13” of vacuum. These guys with these monster builds I just don’t get it unless they want bragging rights???

To use factory sixpack intake, 240 trickflow would be my choice. But neither is near enough for a 572. A 240 is actually small for a 440. A 270 is better, everywhere!
If you've got the money for an aluminum block 572, my choice would be a HEMI block and edelbrock hemi heads.
If you HAVE the block, and it's set up for wedge heads, I'd go at least indy 440-1, 572-13 would be better, with a giant single dominator, or a couple 850s on a tunnel ram.
Why build a high dollar engine, and choke it with 440-size (or 340-size carbs, really) parts?

I don't believe a stock 6pak intake can keep up with 240 heads least wise 572 inches
I'd re-think this whole build.

You want to use a 6 pac intake so that means TF240's would be best.

You build a high dollar aluminum block 572 with a sixpack and 240 trickflows....... and absolutely get your clock cleaned by an iron block, cast crank bbc 496 with a pair of 450 cfm heads.(or even 400 cfm)
How do you feel?
Agree with Lewtot. Re-think.

Why does everyone think he wants 1,000 horsepower? That's not the impression I got from his posting.

If I was building a 572, I wouldn't want 400HP, I agree that 572 inches would be easiest with a set of Edelbrock Hemi heads.

500 Cid indy -1 and a dommy

With 440 Sixpack stickers on the hood.

Why does everyone think he wants 1,000 horsepower? That's not the impression I got from his posting.
Cause if I was building a $30k aluminum block 572, it SURE better have more suds than a hydraulic cammed 632 in a box (blueprint engines) for about half that money, and 800+ hp out of the box.
If he doesn't want 1000hp why-o-why build an aluminum block 572, when a stock block 500 with good heads can make 650?

You build a high dollar aluminum block 572 with a sixpack and 240 trickflows....... and absolutely get your clock cleaned by an iron block, cast crank bbc 496 with a pair of 450 cfm heads.(or even 400 cfm)
How do you feel?
Agree with Lewtot. Re-think.
You'd be better off investing the $$$ In INVIDEA STOCK, presently selling at ~ 1460/share. Its due to split 10:1 early next week. I'd rather have the $$ than a 1000hp engine which requires AV gas just to drive around and show your buddies you can do burn outs...just z thought......
BOB RENTON

Go big or go home!! haha. 1000 streetable horsepower, with a carburetor, or 3. Sounds like a grocery getter to me. What kind of car is this going into? Sounds like fun.

Auto Transport Service
Back