• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dallas car sharks

steve from staten island

Local time
8:30 AM
Reaction score
I know you've had to hear this before but i just watched for the first time the episode were the lady buys the 63 falcon ranchero. What bullshit and insult this is to anyone who ever properly restored a car She bought the car for 4100 give or take. The car looked like it had not run in awhile. Who ever bought a project and assumed the motor would run perfectly? Of course on TV they always do. The floor pans were rotted,there was holes in the lower quarters,the interior needed seats,headliner and i dont know what else. The end result was a nice looking running car for another mere 3grand. Now when they had the car on a lift everything was rusty. No mention to the brakes or suspension was mentioned and of course the engine/tranny/rear were good. The guy who bought it wanted it for his kid.
I guess my next restoration will be in the lone star state,those guys work for peanuts

The time to restore is similar to the price - cars are seemingly completed in a day or two or perhaps three at the most. I am watching the show now where they restore the old Plymouth to be a race car. Nice car, restoration does seem overly optimistic as you mention above

Its not the amount of time it takes as i understand its TV. Its the amount of money it cost them to restore a old car. Its not realistic and i think some folks who dont really know what it costs,come away with a unrealistic idea of the costs of retoring a old car. If that falcon was a running driving car that passed state inspection then i might be somewhat more inclined to the price but it was not. The show does no favors to anyone who restores cars. The thing that got me was the car was going to a young kid which im sure is also bullshit. But if you caught the show you would have seen the undercarriage which was rusty. What about brake/fuel lines for example. That a single master cylinder car. What about all rubber on this car? the show is a farce.

There's a big difference between "restoring" a car to be able to flip it and what a lot of people on this forum do. Those guys don't need a car to be 100% perfect, or done the dreaded "right". They need a car to be done to a point where it looks attractive to a buyer. You cut off the biggest warts, buff the paint, make sure it runs and drives, and put it out on the lot. They don't care if it's rusty, or some stuff doesn't work, or there's some wear and tear, because in most cases the buyer won't care. That's stuff they won't notice until months or years later.

I watched it for the first time last night and can say I'll never watch it again, I can't stand the ignorant shows that do these half *** jobs just to flip em. The one thing that really gets me about all of these shows is the amount of times they get the timing 180 degrees out?????????????? Seriously I can't remember the last time I did that but these guys are shooting flames out of the carbs regularly................maybe that's it, looks cool on TV??

There's a big difference between "restoring" a car to be able to flip it and what a lot of people on this forum do. Those guys don't need a car to be 100% perfect, or done the dreaded "right". They need a car to be done to a point where it looks attractive to a buyer. You cut off the biggest warts, buff the paint, make sure it runs and drives, and put it out on the lot. They don't care if it's rusty, or some stuff doesn't work, or there's some wear and tear, because in most cases the buyer won't care. That's stuff they won't notice until months or years later.

yep just flipper

I remember watching a Boyd Coddington show years ago and they were finishing up a total restoration on a custom '55 Chevy. One of the guys was installing the right tail light and looking inside of the quarter panel you could see all this rust and rot. It's tv for sure. What was that guy I think his name was Rusty, in California, flipping cars at the auction every week. They were some real pieces of crap all painted up nice! TV, lol...

I call that show. MOP and GlOW. remember that stuff.........except they do it to cars:violent-smiley-100:

What was that guy I think his name was Rusty, in California, flipping cars at the auction every week. They were some real pieces of crap all painted up nice! TV, lol...

I used to see that a lot at the auctions I went to here in FL over the past few years. Someone finds an old car, repaints it or buffs it out, and sends it to the auction. Most of the ones I went to were primarily for dealers, and these guys had it in their heads that old=$$$ and if some old car crossed the block, and was always described as a "muscle car" they would jump all over it because all they knew was it was old and must be worth a lot! :) I asked the guy I used to go with about how they can afford to pay way more than theses POS's were worth, and he said the only folks more ignorant of values than the dealers are their customers.

There's a lot like this that's been around for a few years near my house. They usually have five to ten old cars for sale, but I never bothered to check prices until they got a 73 Roadrunner in before Thanksgiving. It's green/green, bench, with yellow stripes. 400 auto car. They want $14,999 for it. :) You can tell they patched the body up, sprayed it, put the stripes on, and did little else, and I'm sure they'll likely get $12,000 or so from someone.

These shows are nothing but hollywood fluff for entertainment value only. The sad thing is the poor shmo that watches and thinks "Hey, I can do that!" and then gets in over his head. The project usually ends up on Craigslist for some un-Godly amount. They never say anything about the rust, varnish, and water in those tanks from sitting years on end. Wheel cylinders and lines are most always shot on something thats been sitting out, but that's all good after the commercial break. I'd love to see one of those guys bust a bloody knucke trying to get a rusty bleeder valve loose :rolling:

These are the same issues I have with all the "Home Improvement " shows. They ALWAYS show the projects getting done in some absolutely impossible time frame and the NEVER say how much it cost. It sets up so much unrealistic expectation among consumers that it hinders real businesses from making sales based on what IS real.
The car shows are the same......unrealistic schedules, no discussion of cost unless it is one of the shows with a LIE for the budget, and in the end there sits a beautifully done car (for the camera beauty shot). Notice they never actually show or mention physical dates like...."We took this car from the unsuspecting guys drive way on the 13th of June and here it is the 5th of July and it is done", although that is what they imply happened.

Auto Transport Service
Back