• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Damn! No power after replacing alt and water pump...

mpro69rr

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:17 AM
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I worked on my 69 RR 383 4 speed this weekend. The car was running great before the work. I replaced the water pump and alternator. Got everything connected back up and went to start it and got a click the dakota digital dash blinked and then no power. I have the MAD wiring for info. I put the old alt back on and nothing. I checked the battery and got 12v, I tried connecting the two studs on the starter relay with a screw driver and nothing. Checked fusable links and fuses all seem fine. I checked power at the starter relay and the meter flashed all kinds of numbers so I assume there is no power there? Why I changed the alt was because I was receiving high voltage, sometimes 15v so I thought I would put the old alt back on to see what kind of volts I would get, I thought maybe maybe the power master alt was bad. I don't understand why I wouldn't get 12v at the starter relay? The battery gets 12v? Could it be a bad battery, it was working great before I replaced the alt?

Forgot to say I got a new negative battery cable too, I'm checked the end that connects to the head for ground and got flashing numbers which I think means no ground right? Maybe the new cable is bad? Hard to believe a new negative able could be bad?

A quick boost will answer that..
What do you mean a boost, like charge? It has 12v and it was working before so I don't think its that, but you never know....

A fully charged battery should have 13.5 to 14.5 volts......probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have it tested.

A fully charged battery should have 13.5 to 14.5 volts......probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have it tested.
I got it! I put the old negative battery cable back on and it started right up! I can't believe a brand new negative batter cable could be the problem! Thanks for the suggestions though, I still may get the battery tested because it only shows 12.49v.

I got it! I put the old negative battery cable back on and it started right up! I can't believe a brand new negative batter cable could be the problem! Thanks for the suggestions though, I still may get the battery tested because it only shows 12.49v.
Strange but parts today are not the parts we grew up with

A battery fully charged, but just sitting static (engine off) should be around 12.7-12.8 volts. But with the engine running you should see between 13.5 and 14.5 volts, maybe a little more if you have an electronic voltage regulator. The charging system has to put out more than the batteries static charge of 12.8 volts in order to force a charge on it.

A battery fully charged, but just sitting static (engine off) should be around 12.7-12.8 volts. But with the engine running you should see between 13.5 and 14.5 volts, maybe a little more if you have an electronic voltage regulator. The charging system has to put out more than the batteries static charge of 12.8 volts in order to force a charge on it.
My battery must be good then, its 12.49v not running and 14.5v running, so it should be OK. Thanks!

Hey Guys,

I worked on my 69 RR 383 4 speed this weekend. The car was running great before the work. I replaced the water pump and alternator. Got everything connected back up and went to start it and got a click the dakota digital dash blinked and then no power. I have the MAD wiring for info. I put the old alt back on and nothing. I checked the battery and got 12v, I tried connecting the two studs on the starter relay with a screw driver and nothing. Checked fusable links and fuses all seem fine. I checked power at the starter relay and the meter flashed all kinds of numbers so I assume there is no power there? Why I changed the alt was because I was receiving high voltage, sometimes 15v so I thought I would put the old alt back on to see what kind of volts I would get, I thought maybe maybe the power master alt was bad. I don't understand why I wouldn't get 12v at the starter relay? The battery gets 12v? Could it be a bad battery, it was working great before I replaced the alt?
Well, that bypasses virtually everything... So check you battery & battery cables... Clean the terminals thoroughly...

Well... I read the rest of the thread after posting... I'll just shut up & go play elsewhere.. :lol: :lol:

A fully charged battery measures 12.6v at room temp. Slightly lower at colder temps. After charging a battery, it retains a slight 'surface charge' that is higher than the actual charge. So always let the battery sit for a couple of hours after charging before measuring the voltage.

Auto Transport Service
Back