• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

dim tail lights

thunderbolt

Local time
6:42 PM
Reaction score
This is my second 1970 Road Runner , both with the same issue tail light dim , brake lights brighter but dim as well , grounds are good and the 12 volt feed is good any suggestions

On my 70, I’ve run an independent ground wire to each tail light socket and they are noticeably brighter

Did the same, I think I had lost some grounding after painting and restoring the tail light assemblies despite some cleaning of primer and paint. Also installed LED bulbs.

This is my second 1970 Road Runner , both with the same issue tail light dim , brake lights brighter but dim as well , grounds are good and the 12 volt feed is good any suggestions
I run a “Y” split wire to each housing and ground independently

My easy way to check grounds. I take my 30' test lead hooked to battery neg. and DVOM neg. and touch the pos. lead to the socket of the bulb holder. On DC Volts with light on it should read zero or close to. You can do this on many components. Voltage Drop Tests works with circuit on and loaded.

Auto Transport Service
Back