• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do I need to pull the instrument cluster part way out to R&R tach?

Looks like I need to unhook the vent cable and ducting for the aftermarket AC and gently move the vac lines for the lights and there is pretty good access. Hands up for the screws will be the challenge

All I can say is
1717968970252.jpeg

I assume we are talking about a 1970 B body rally dash cluster.
You would think by now that people would mention as part of the request for help - at the very minimum what vehicle they are working on, and more specifically which variant.

Pictures also help. I assumed this was about a '69 car with the tiny sweep tack on a standard cluster.
And posting in the 68-70 Charger forum means nothing - plenty of people post in the wrong forums. :rolleyes:

I've done it many times removing it from the back. You don't have to remove the cluster. Just patience and 3 screws. Easier if you remove the drivers seat.
Correct - I have also done that in the past. Just remove the driver's seat and get your azz under the dash. :thumbsup:

Cluster doesn't need to move at all.

You would think by now that people would mention as part of the request for help - at the very minimum what vehicle they are working on, and more specifically which variant.

Pictures also help. I assumed this was about a '69 car with the tiny sweep tack on a standard cluster.
And posting in the 68-70 Charger forum means nothing - plenty of people post in the wrong forums. :rolleyes:
Sure.
But it is in the charger forum.
I have a 68 avatar.
I said replacing a tic-toc tach.

So I did give some context...

Those avatar pictures are small.
People accidentally use the wrong forum frequently.
The members here that take the time to help others shouldn’t have to fill in the blanks. Posting a cryptic question isn’t helping anyone.
Don’t make it hard for people to help you.
I’ll admit, I’d pull the whole thing and work on it on the counter. I actually didn’t know that the tach came out from the back side. I thought they all were installed from the front.
Still, this seems like you’re dancing around obstacles doing it your way compared to pulling the cluster out entirely.

I guess I peed in a few people's Wheaties then - but several others seem just fine to help and I thank them.

Taking all the bulbs and wires loose is the PITA to me, maybe other people don't mind that. I'd rather be on my back for a few.

I guess I peed in a few people's Wheaties then - but several others seem just fine to help and I thank them.

Taking all the bulbs and wires loose is the PITA to me, maybe other people don't mind that. I'd rather be on my back for a few.
Looking at the pictures you eventually posted, it seems you have an aftermarket Tic-Toc-Tac.

I don't think those will be interchangeable with the factory original pieces. They look a lot different.

The photo is of the charger specialites tach only that I'm putting in to replace the tic-toc.
My tic-toc is also a repo.
I don't like the poor view of the tac part of tic-toc. My dad wanted the tic-toc just cuz. Plus the clock stopped working long ago and even though the tac was supposedly configured to work with elec ign it is not accurate.

Or can you get to it and get it out from the back side?
I'm replacing a miscalibrated tictoc with the charger specialites tach.
Yeah, MUCH easier to pull a Tic-Toc-Tac cluster than the square "Sweeep Style". Plus you can clean everything up & NOT bypass that Ammeter.
(Sincerely, Gen-X) ;-)

Auto Transport Service
Back