• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you like to drive late at night? How about in the rain?

Driving at night, raining or not, as little as possible now. No where to go to either...
What about the wife having bathroom stops…..

f40c837c838465ca742f193bbd02543d5b9f4f03.gif

As far as driving in the rain?
Please lord, anywhere but Houston.
:rofl:
Okay…now that Cranky opened the door, I’m in.
This truck is a great wet pavement drift rig.

View attachment 1531329
Firm suspension, 305-40 tires and a limited slip diff. It hangs the tail out beautifully.
We don’t get much rain here but at night when nobody is around, pitching this truck around curves is a blast.
Back when I first started driving, most guys I knew didn’t have high performance cars so the only time we could get sideways was when the pavement was wet.
Both the Durango and the Cuda had LSD's.....and my diesel finally got one when I put new gears in it several years ago but I don't hammer on it anymore.

Most everything that I have has some type of limited slip differential.
This old turd is by far the best dirt road drift car I've ever owned....

IMG_5047.JPG

It has an 8 3/4" axle from a 68 Coronet, 4.10 gears and a clutch SG unit set up a bit tighter than OEM. Oh, what fun!

I took delivery of a brand new, personally ordered as in go down the list of options for a 1979 Dodge Aspen R/T and check off boxes, E58 option "police" 360 4bbl and the SureGrip rear gear setup.
It was really good for doing multiple donuts in the Plaza Shopping Mall parking lot.
Some of you will know what I mean by describing the blacktop in that parking lot as being "slicker" than normal roadway blacktop.
I'd guess it had less friction enhancing components, maybe a higher oil content? Whatever it was, man oh MAN it was great for spinning tires, DRY AS A BONE in the desert.
With my Roadrunner, especially once the 4.10 gears went in, I was always keen to avoid slips and slides in the rain, but my rear tires of choice and by necessity should an impromptu contest of speed pop up on the street whose call I could not resist answering, were DRAG RADIALS.
That is why I've posted so many times about the Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials, especially contrasted with the Nitto 555R drag radials.
The Toyos provided good dry traction all things considered, and the 555R Nittos did on dry surfaces as well.
BUT
The Nittos could have killed me or destroyed my wonderful 1989 Conquest TSi I had if I got caught in the rain. They were in great shape, 4/5ths total tread remaining at least, and I had a sudden, no warning complete loss of traction about 10-15 minutes into a light to medium rain on the interstate, and I was driving carefully at 60MPH. That put me in the grass between the other side of the interstate and the side I was on.
With the Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials, in over 5 years I NEVER had any issues if I happened to get caught in rain or wet road conditions. They held up well and worked well all around, but most importantly I had confidence (while still exercising care) in the rain.

This car died an early death.
Less than 3 months old, with
less than 2400 miles on the
clock.
Houston flood near Addicks
reservoir. 6" of rain in an
hour.
A lifted Ford truck with some
big meats pushed a 3 foot
wall of water in front of it.
The wave washed over the
hood and hydrolocked the
Coyote.
image005.jpg

clock.
hour.
The wave washed over the
hood and hydrolocked the
Coyote.
View attachment 1664625
I know it's a Ford...
but that's sad, and if it's yours, I'm sorry to hear that happened.

clock.
hour.
The wave washed over the
hood and hydrolocked the
Coyote.
View attachment 1664625
Yeah, too many aholes with lifted trucks in the Houston area. My old 79 1 ton single wheel wasn't lifted but it had 33's on it and used it a lot in high water areas to help stranded people get going. I never drove any of my cars out during those times of bad weather. The roads in my area were all good and high until just before I retired. All the roads around here now have been redone and 'lowered' for better flood control. There was one intersection close to my home that prevented me from actually getting to my street but I could park my car at the jr college and my wife could drive down to the cul-de-sac at the other end of my street and get me if it was still raining.

Yeah, too many aholes with lifted trucks in the Houston area. My old 79 1 ton single wheel wasn't lifted but it had 33's on it and used it a lot in high water areas to help stranded people get going. I never drove any of my cars out during those times of bad weather. The roads in my area were all good and high until just before I retired. All the roads around here now have been redone and 'lowered' for better flood control. There was one intersection close to my home that prevented me from actually getting to my street but I could park my car at the jr college and my wife could drive down to the cul-de-sac at the other end of my street and get me if it was still raining.
Yea, Texans do love their
trucks.
I don't miss Houston's
humid hot weather, and
torrential rains, or dodging
a hurricane now and then.

Yea, Texans do love their
trucks.
I don't miss Houston's
humid hot weather, and
torrential rains, or dodging
a hurricane now and then.
At least we don't get 'big' tornadoes'.......and the hurricanes don't happen all that often but ya do need to know where to live and not live in this area when bad storms roll through. This last round of 'thunder storms' doesn't happen very often but the ones living in the river bottoms get flooded a LOT! I've been at my present location for 40 years and well, not saying I'll never get flooded but if that happens, it will be a huge milestone! So far so good and water hasn't even got close to my door step.

Auto Transport Service
Back