• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dont know which fuel octane

1970coronetrt

Local time
1:48 PM
Reaction score
Hello every one
Just owned 1970 coronet rt
Original was 440 magnum
But now it's 69 383 stroked to 426
906 heads
Compression ratio 10.5 to 11

What type or what octane should I put ?

Snapchat-1306932825.jpg

Kuwait uses the RON for Octane. The US uses AKI (Anti-Knock Index), which is an average of RON (Research Octane Number), and MON (Motor Octane Number). Yeah, there are three octane ratings... 91, 95, and 98 in Kuwait are the equivalent of ~87, 90, and 93-94 in the States.

Kuwait uses the RON for Octane. The US uses AKI (Anti-Knock Index), which is an average of RON (Research Octane Number), and MON (Motor Octane Number). Yeah, there are three octane ratings... 91, 95, and 98 in Kuwait are the equivalent of ~87, 90, and 93-94 in the States.
That's right

Thanks all for your response
I think I should feed ot with the best one we have here 98 which will be your 93 octane to be safe

Any recommendations for spark plugs ? And engine oil type

Previous owner use VR racing 20w50 ?
Which viscosity will be the best ?

That's right

Thanks all for your response
I think I should feed ot with the best one we have here 98 which will be your 93 octane to be safe

Any recommendations for spark plugs ? And engine oil type

Previous owner use VR racing 20w50 ?
Which viscosity will be the best ?
If it's not very cold there ( :lol: ) keep using the 20 50.

What he is saying is that if your typical temperature is cold, use a lighter weight oil (10/30 or 10/40)
If your centigrade Temps are as high as I think they are.( in the 115-120f range!?!)... keep using 20/50, and VR1 is an excellent choice.

What camshaft is in the engine and what is the cranking PSI? If it's around 140, you can probably use a lower octane fuel but if it's much higher (190?), pump gas may not work. I've had a couple of 10-1 engines and they worked fine on our junk 93 until the summer time and that's when I added a gallon or so of av gas to a tank of 93 and that did the trick. And I'm in Texas where the temps see 100+F during the summer and have been using 15-40 for a lot of years. What is the temp of the engine while driving? If the temp of the engine is staying up around 200 all the time, I might stay with the 20-50.....

In my fairly fast (10 Second) street 440 and street 360 with similiar
compression, we run Champion 300 plugs (used to be called N9Y).
They are something like $2.39 each at Summit.

To recommend how to tell you how to exactly gap them, I would need to know your
ignition components.

I can go a hundred or two faster at the track with cut back racing plugs,
but the 300 plug often last a year or two with our MSD 6 ignitions (Old Analog
type not the Digital). The 300s are gapped @ .040 as wider does not pick up anything
and is hard on the ignition components with no observed benefits. The larger MSD "HVC"
is pretty powerful and with a weaker coil you would be @ only .030 or .035. for longevity.

What camshaft is in the engine and what is the cranking PSI? If it's around 140, you can probably use a lower octane fuel but if it's much higher (190?), pump gas may not work. I've had a couple of 10-1 engines and they worked fine on our junk 93 until the summer time and that's when I added a gallon or so of av gas to a tank of 93 and that did the trick. And I'm in Texas where the temps see 100+F during the summer and have been using 15-40 for a lot of years. What is the temp of the engine while driving? If the temp of the engine is staying up around 200 all the time, I might stay with the 20-50.....

So the can is lunatiu 533 lift I think
Carp is holley xp850
I haven't drive alot but I think it will go above 200F ESPECIALLY NOW IN SUMMER

So will stick with 20w50 and see in winter maybe use 10w40

In my fairly fast (10 Second) street 440 and street 360 with similiar
compression, we run Champion 300 plugs (used to be called N9Y).
They are something like $2.39 each at Summit.

To recommend how to tell you how to exactly gap them, I would need to know your
ignition components.

I can go a hundred or two faster at the track with cut back racing plugs,
but the 300 plug often last a year or two with our MSD 6 ignitions (Old Analog
type not the Digital). The 300s are gapped @ .040 as wider does not pick up anything
and is hard on the ignition components with no observed benefits. The larger MSD "HVC"
is pretty powerful and with a weaker coil you would be @ only .030 or .035. for longevity.

I'll try to see wich msd I have if I don't know I will send some pics

Auto Transport Service
Back