• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Drivers side exhaust hanger 66 charger

‘66polycharger

Local time
10:17 PM
Reaction score
Hi. I had a muffler shop bend me exhaust for duals on my charger with a 318 poly. When they did they didn’t bend the tail pipe enough and was getting some bumping on my suspension. I wasn’t happy with their work so wrote it off as a lesson learned, they are now out of business… so I’m not obviously not the only that wasn’t happy with their work. Anyhow, I ordered up new correct tail pipes from classic industries and getting them set up. I was hoping not to pull the interior in the back to bolt in the drivers side hanger in front of the axle. Are there any other spots in the area I can add a hanger that I’m over looking? Thanks!

Hi. I had a muffler shop bend me exhaust for duals on my charger with a 318 poly. When they did they didn’t bend the tail pipe enough and was getting some bumping on my suspension. I wasn’t happy with their work so wrote it off as a lesson learned, they are now out of business… so I’m not obviously not the only that wasn’t happy with their work. Anyhow, I ordered up new correct tail pipes from classic industries and getting them set up. I was hoping not to pull the interior in the back to bolt in the drivers side hanger in front of the axle. Are there any other spots in the area I can add a hanger that I’m over looking? Thanks!
Any where that works when you are working with modified exhaust. If you get a complete reproduction system from places like TTI or Accurate, they come with original type hangers that go in the right places.

Thanks I’ll keep nosing around under there. I have the correct hanger for the side just didn’t order up the bracket in hopes that something sturdy would be close I could tie into. Since the bracket comes with the backing plate that bolts through to the interior I’m assuming this is putting quite a bit of stress on the area when using it.

The reason there is a bolt on bracket is because there is nothing there to tie into.

The floor is dimpled where the holes need to be drilled.
I'd bet the Charger rear floor panel is in the way of doing this.

The driver side originally bolted in position and as R413 said the hole locations are marked. As an alternative to bolts you could probably get by with hex head metal screws into pilot hooves drilled into the floor pan from underneath using the bracket as a template. And then at some future time if you have the interior out you can replace the metal screws with nutted bolts.

Just looked at my race car which I made a mock floor for years ago. Yeah it's pretty up there. I agree with the self tapper type bolt idea
20240805_102642.jpg

Cool thanks guys very helpful. I was wondering if self tappers would do the job temporarily. Wasn’t sure how much stress the hanger put on the body. Being somewhat vertical I’m guessing not as bad as it would be horizontal. Any recommendations on to the size of the self tappers? I’m assuming heavier is better. I’ll have to scrape off some undercoating to find my dimples.

I don’t think it will be too much stress as long you aren’t relying on that one hangar to keep that side of your system tucked up to the floor. Leave your connection to the exhaust manifold and the tailpipe hangar a little loose until you get the muffler and head pipe up where you want it and support it. Then tighten down the muffler hanger, your tailpipe hangar and your exhaust manifold connection before removing the blocking.

The mufflers and tailpipes were hanging way low on my 66 when I bought it and there wasn’t much that could be done to get them back up where they belonged until I loosened the tailpipe hangar and especially the head pipe connections to the manifolds. After that everything slid up in place and stayed there when all hangars were then tightened.

This photo is a 1969 b body, should be the same thing. Dimples are from the inside out.

2F2EC7E6-3D8B-4E21-A49A-84AF5F294AC6.jpeg

Cool. Photos have been very helpful. I have the bracket showing in the mail today. Exhaust is all laid out and loosely clamped to stay in place. Hopefully get it in and tightened up in the next couple days. This was the last piece to get reassembled after pulling my transmission for an at home rebuild. So hopefully be able to test drive how we did this weekend. Fingers crossed it shifts like it should and I don’t have to listen to the exhaust hitting my shocks over bumps when I have the kids in the back seat.Thanks again everyone!

Auto Transport Service
Back