• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Drop Base for a large (18") Air Cleaner

Hwy145

Local time
4:35 PM
Reaction score
I have a dual snorkel air cleaner that measures 18" across. I have the carter drop base, but I am on the hunt for one with a 5 1/8" opening. Any suggestions? All I see are 14" bases.

I assume you mean the 67 and earlier Carter AFB carb verses the 68 and later Carter AVS carb.

There are bases that will accommodate the same size filter element as what you have, but may not necessarily seal the lid to the base. I believe the 68 & 69 bases will work.

I assume you mean the 67 and earlier Carter AFB carb verses the 68 and later Carter AVS carb.

There are bases that will accommodate the same size filter element as what you have, but may not necessarily seal the lid to the base. I believe the 68 & 69 bases will work.
I have a Holley on my 383 currently, and I would like to use the correct air cleaner, but the drop base has a 4 /18" opening for a Carter. It originally did come with an AFB.

Four-barrel carburetors from this era have, for the most part, one basic air cleaner flange size, 5-1/8-inches.

The early-Carter WCFB (and Rochester Quadrajet) found on corvettes and fords, has the 4-7/32 flange.

That said, I seem to recall the 383-2-barrel base fits the 4-7/32-inch flange.

I have a Holley on my 383 currently, and I would like to use the correct air cleaner, but the drop base has a 4 /18" opening for a Carter. It originally did come with an AFB.

To be clear Carter carbs also came 5 1/8.

There are bases that will work. You just need to find one. Again, 68-69 or a 67 with a Holley.

Auto Transport Service
Back