• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Edelbrock 1407 rough start help please

Geff McCarthy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:54 PM
Reaction score
Fires immediately when cold, but then requires much accel pump to run. I adjusted the choke to about 1/4" open when cold. Today I noticed fuel drops from the main nozzle. Would this be floats too high, or pressure too high. I do have a gauge, and restrict the pressure to 4-6 psi.

It isn’t hard to pull the top to check the floats, while your at it just pull it order a new kit and go thru it .. be done with it so you have peace of mind.. it’s cheap and easy plus you’ll know it’s right no need to sit and guess.. just buy a quality kit with a thick carb to intake gasket.. Also make sure your fuel pressure is correct too... tuning kits are readily available from summit racing, also make sure the floats do float!

Depending on your engine setup Edelbrocks are usually lean right out of the box.
Sounds lean, could just be some simple stuff.
Make sure it's on tight.
How far out are the idle mixture screws?
They should be between 1-1/2 to 3 turns, you can try backing them out a 1/2 or full turn.
Is the fast idle speed setting just too low?

It choke is 1/4 open when cold, your fast idle will be almost completely gone when it starts. Choke plate should be all the way shut when cold; the choke pull-off pulls it open about 1/4"(?) maybe a little less. Also #2 above.

Thanks to all. Yes the idle screws are about 3 turns. I have checked the new float levels twice.
But...why the drops of raw fuel? Wouldn't that make it rich?
Choke does set fast idle, but quickly heats and the cam rotates clockwise and the fast idle screw is no longer in contact. Will increase fast idle screw and adjust choke per your suggestions. Thanks again!

Auto Transport Service
Back