• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Edelbrock AVS2 rich no matter what!

dave's not here

Local time
9:33 AM
Reaction score
Greetings all! The title says it all - so straight to the point:

I have a spring/jet/metering rod kit - does anyone one know what combination - or steps away from stock would lean this thing down a bit? Its in a 1968 Plymouth Satellite : 318 with a mild cam and a mid-rise manifold (headers ignition and all that).
kitted 904 tranny and a 2.73 rear end. With kit in hand , i'd like your experiences with a starting point here.

Thanks!

dave

Do you know if it still has the stock primary and secondary jets and rods, springs. What model is it, 1905? You need to start from factory. Floats set too high can be a problem also. Don't find too many Eddies correct from the factory.

Also what kind of fuel pressure do you have? Too much is a common cause of running rich.

I have the AVS2 800 on my 512 and went 12 % lean and still need to go more. I' tinking a jet change and maybe rods as well. Without an O2 sensor, you're just guessing, so use the chart provided with the carb and try 12% to start and see if it's enough. Personally, I'm thinking about trying a 750 CFM Performer I have. You could try a 600 Performer if you have access to one, ans see if it is better or worse. JM2C ruffcut

How much vacuum at curb idle? Not 1100 RPM. This is important on Carter/edelbrock.

If you have not already tried it you can swap the metering rods that are in the carb and install the 130-7347 rods from the tuning kit.

Once you've verified float heights, fuel pressure etc then start with combo's on the chart that don't require jet changes. The rods can be changed in about 2 minutes, whereas you have to pull the lid off to change the jets.

Document your changes and observations. Otherwise you'll get quickly lost on where you're at.

From the chart you might start at No.6 which is stock jet, 73-37 rod.

Then maybe try No.13 which is stock jet, 71-42 rod.

Then try No. 14 which is stock jet, 73-42 rod.

It's a lot of trial and error but the chart is very easy to follow. As you can see from the attached I've had a few tries, and it's running very sweet at the moment.
20240925_063617.jpg
20240925_063625.jpg

I have no idea how anyone can give a response with the little info you provided.

Exactly how do you know it is lean?

What are your AF numbers at idle
What are they at 1800 rpm cruise
What are they at 2700 rpm cruise
What are they at WOT.

We need this to even start to understand what circuit needs to be leaned out.

I have no idea how anyone can give a response with the little info you provided.

Exactly how do you know it is lean?

What are your AF numbers at idle
What are they at 1800 rpm cruise
What are they at 2700 rpm cruise
What are they at WOT.

We need this to even start to understand what circuit needs to be leaned out.
On top of this the original post never even stated what Model AVS2

We don’t even know if it’s a 500 / 650 / Or 800 CFM

dave's not here lol!
AVS2 is a 650cfm carb. Accelerator pump is in weakest (lowest) position. Fuel pressure set by inline manual dial at 4.0 psi - doesn't starve until 3.5 psi so that's good. Will check float and start with rods. Thanks!

You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink.

Put the lightest metering rod springs in (I think they are blue in color).
You may not have enough vacuum to keep the metering rods in the jet at idle.

The way to check is - with the engine at idle - rotate the metering rod covers to clear the metering rods.
If the metering rods are jumping up and down then the existing springs are too heavy.
The metering rods have to stay down (no jumping around) in idle or in gear at idle.

If it's still rich then a fatter metering rod may be required.

If you have nothing constructive to offer than shut up and let people other people do their thing. You've had your say.
Okay.

But you did ask for help, I responded with legitimate questions, and you ignored me.

Remember, when you ask a question on the internet, you will get a lot of responses, but they will only be as good as the information provided. Also, the most popular answer is not necessarily correct.

Last edited:
What is your idle rpms and how much timing advance? I'm wondering if the primary plates are uncovering the transfer slots in the bore. If you add more timing, plates are closed more to bring idle down. Less timing, more opened.

If you have nothing constructive to offer than shut up and let people other people do their thing. You've had your say.
With an attitude like that you won't get much help around here in future.

Still running rich?

Auto Transport Service
Back