• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electronic Distributor ConversionBallast Question

Mariposa Mike

Local time
2:48 AM
Reaction score
The new to me 66 Charger has a 383 that has been converted to no points ignition. Seems a lot of threads I see advise to eliminate the ballast resister but mine is still installed. I do not know what brand of conversion was done but I suspect Petronix. Also I don't find an added module. Seems I recall that one is not necessary with Petronix. I'm having an intermittent starting problem. The engine sometimes will not crank and I traced 12V going to the starter relay so was suspecting it might be the problem. PO changed the starter to a hi torque? from Summit and it looks pretty new so I'm ruling that out. Would also like to rule out the resister. I'm thinking it's got nothing to do with this in a no crank situation. Sometimes it starts fine. When it does it runs very well. Anyone with thoughts on this? Appreciate the feedback. Getting lots of help on another wiring issue and really appreciate this forum.

The resistor may have this mod... I did this to mine to make it look stock ..... I would start with the petronix system instructions if that is what you have.

1721071581897.png

The ballast resistor is for the ignition not the starting circuit.
Is the yellow wire connection pretty tight on the starter relay spade?
They can open up a bit from the heat under the hood.
If it's somewhat sloppy try popping off the insulator and give it a little squeeze shut with pliers.
See if that helps.
Otherwise it's likely the neutral safety or the relay itself.

The resistor has nothing to do with the start circuit.
A few possible causes are; the start relay, the neutral safety switch, wiring between, gear selector not fully in position.
Try starting in neutral

Agree with previous posts. Problem with cranking has nothing to do with ignition items you mention. Check items others have mentioned, starter relay and neutral safety switch which completes path to ground for starter relay. Also possible it's something intermittent with key-starter ignition switch. Also check + battery cable and it's connections, Also - battery to engine block.

Check the neutral start switch. No worky, no cranky.....
Could be adjustment or has failed internally.

I changed out the starter relay and it's starting for now but if issues continue I will look at the neutral switch next. Had a post going on the 66 Charger forum. As this was an intermittent problem I cannot say for certain it's solved. Yet.

Auto Transport Service
Back