• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Flush

EJ106

Local time
3:20 PM
Reaction score
Hey All,

I have a 64 Fury with a 318 poly that sat for a number of years and seems to have a good deal of sludge built up in the heads and around the valves. A couple people I've talked too suggested a good way to clean up the engine is to put a quart if kerosene in with the engine oil, run it for a little while then drain and refill with clean oil. Is this actually a viable solution or is there something better on the market that could accomplish the same thing?.

I have heard of using diesel to do that sort of half and half with oil. If I were doing it I would just let it idle for 5 minutes and rev it a bit, then dump it.

If you have removed the valve covers and there is gunk sitting on top of the heads you can bet that the oil pan is full of gunk too. I would drop the pan and clean it out, maybe pour a little kerosene or diesel (almost the same thing) down through the oil passages, let it soak for a while. put er back together, put in clean oil and a can of sea foam motor flush, run er for a few miles till she's good and hot and then change the oil & filter again. Good luck!

Thanks for the input all, it's definitely appreciated. I'll probably try the soak with kero/diesel soak approach first since the car isn't road ready yet.

If you have removed the valve covers and there is gunk sitting on top of the heads you can bet that the oil pan is full of gunk too. I would drop the pan and clean it out, maybe pour a little kerosene or diesel (almost the same thing) down through the oil passages, let it soak for a while. put er back together, put in clean oil and a can of sea foam motor flush, run er for a few miles till she's good and hot and then change the oil & filter again. Good luck!

Ditto on this. I'd drop the pan too. If there's a lot of garbage down there it'll chew up the oil pump once it starts breaking down.

Does the engine run and do you have good oil pressure?

Other than alot of smoke when first started the engine seems to run pretty well and have decent oil pressure. The valve seals are shot so those are my primary suspect for the smoke issue. Based on what you guys have said I'll definitely drop the pan and clean it up.

As sort of a related question should I expect similar problems from the transmission? It's an automatic but I can't recall which one specifically. The car hasn't been driven very much since the brakes are shot but it seemed to shift without much of an issue.

Drop the pan and change the fluid and filter if you think it needs it. If the fluid's clean and doesn't smell burnt, there's probably nothing wrong with it. Check the dipstick.

Thanks for the info. The fluid on the dipstick is pretty clean. I was planning on dropping the pan and changing the filter anyway so hopefully there won't be any surprises.

Auto Transport Service
Back