• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Favorite street RWL tires....

ramairthree

Local time
8:16 PM
Reaction score
I know the selection size in BFG Radial T/As is good.
I like them better than the old Dunlop GT Qualifiers I had.
They are also better than some Sportsman Radial GTs I used to run.
And beat the hell out of the el cheapo while outline tires in small sizes like 215/75 out there.

But...
I like my Firestone Indy 500s I went to instead on my GTO.
My Cooper Cobras on a 71 Javelin seem at least as good as the Indys and maybe a little better.

I have tried others cars with Invaders and Dean Stingers. Neither as good as the BFGs i thought but the stingers were old.

I don't have experience with the Tigerpaw or Mastercraft Avengers?
Have any of you tried them?

For the RR, I am looking hard at MT Sportsman R/T street radials. Anyone tried those much?

Anyways, there are only so many current production RWL radials out there,
just seeing what you guys think.

I give a thumbs up to Coopers and the Indys.
Hoping to hear about the MTs.

Yep, I know lots complain about all of the above tires,
but many are comparing them to ultra high performance summer only tires on a new C6 vette and stuff. Not fair in my opinion.
They might not be quite as good as a mediocre modern high performance all season like a Goodyear Eagle RSA, but I would like to hear everyone elses opinion.

thanks

BFG and Cooper to are the best for the money. I'm running Cooper Cobra's right now.
295/50/15 rear ad 255/50/15 front..

Hard to find any 14 RWL any more. Easiest "name brand" for me to find is Tiger Paw. In high school, I used to work at a major brand tire dealer, and I actually made more money selling "take off" RWL tires I got out of the dumpster, to calssmates, than I did on my paycheck. Most were Tiger Paws. I ran them on 3 of my first Dodges. I have a (much newer) set right now, but the car is not on the road.

Lately I have been educating myself on traction and treadwear ratings, and trying to balance those and price. I always new I hated Goodyear Eagles and now I know why.

The RSA's that are spec'd for my Dak are over $200 and don't last 20K miles.
I have fallen in love with Khumo Ecsta 711. They are $125 and last 40K, while still gripping. Sadly, they are discontinued, and I am on my last set.

Personally.... I think RWL tyres, sorry, tires, suck big time! :icon_mrgreen:

I'd consider having the original style Goodyears or Firestones on an original set of wheels on an original resto, but as a rule, I think modern-day RWLs are too big & bold, and detract from a good looking set of wheels. And some of the names used are just plain naff.... TURBO.... TIGER PAW.... etc :rolleyes:

I have had quite a few BFG Radial T/As over the years but always have them mounted with the letters on the inside.

Hoping to get a set of redlines for my 69 Sport Satellite but apart from that, I'd steer clear of anything on my sidewalls.

Sorry, but you did ask for opinions :icon_mrgreen:

UK, you seem to have misunderstood. I asked for opinions on favorite RWL tires based their quality, etc. Not which font or shade of white looked better. Like many, you like BFGs but I want a better tire than that, based on other's experiences I was getting info.

I stopped running RWL out in late 80s on an 80s Z28.
So I hear you on black out being the trendy, non-naff fashionable way to go on a vintage car. It took a little over twenty years, but I'm glad the trend is still going on there.

Come to mention it, I still hear lots of synthpop and see lots of mullets over there...

I have a 69 GTO with a working 8 track in it if you would like to discuss how much cooler your cassette or CD player you installed is.

Alright, enough messing around.
I know RWL are a dated, vintage look. That is the goal.

No interested in "best looking" RWL tire.
Interested in quality info.
I like my Indy 500s,
Cooper Cobras,
will try some MT's,
and happy to hear about any others.

ps-
are collars still as big as in my avatar there?

UK, you seem to have misunderstood. I asked for opinions on favorite RWL tires based their quality, etc. Not which font or shade of white looked better. Like many, you like BFGs but I want a better tire than that, based on other's experiences I was getting info.

I stopped running RWL out in late 80s on an 80s Z28.
So I hear you on black out being the trendy, non-naff fashionable way to go on a vintage car. It took a little over twenty years, but I'm glad the trend is still going on there.

Come to mention it, I still hear lots of synthpop and see lots of mullets over there...

I have a 69 GTO with a working 8 track in it if you would like to discuss how much cooler your cassette or CD player you installed is.

Alright, enough messing around.
I know RWL are a dated, vintage look. That is the goal.

No interested in "best looking" RWL tire.
Interested in quality info.
I like my Indy 500s,
Cooper Cobras,
will try some MT's,
and happy to hear about any others.

ps-
are collars still as big as in my avatar there?

Ok RA3, it's a fair cop, I did miss the point - the mereset mention of RWL got me going into rant mode, and, what is actually a good question went right over my head :head_smack:

Makes a change to hear of someone trying to capture/revive the 70/80s look, rather than the more usual 60s look

As for synthpop & mullets, you must be confusing our lil'old island with Germany....easily done i suppose - it's all Europe after all :rolleyes:

ps - we havent got round to big collars over here yet - we still wear Sherlock Holmes type outfits while we stroll round the cobbled streets of Olde London Town in the fog...

;)

Last edited:
No problem UK. I am glad you got the joking tone in my response.

And you also get my goal. It is lost on many.
My goal is not to make a car look like it was leaving the show room new in 67-74 (the years of all my favorite cars fall in there).
Plenty restore to that condition and it is cool by me.

My favorite is what those cars looked like
and what people did with them after they got them both during and for the first five or 10 years after the end of the musclecar era (which I peg around 74).

Personally.... I think RWL tyres, sorry, tires, suck big time! :icon_mrgreen:

I'd consider having the original style Goodyears or Firestones on an original set of wheels on an original resto, but as a rule, I think modern-day RWLs are too big & bold, and detract from a good looking set of wheels. And some of the names used are just plain naff.... TURBO.... TIGER PAW.... etc :rolleyes:

I have had quite a few BFG Radial T/As over the years but always have them mounted with the letters on the inside.

Hoping to get a set of redlines for my 69 Sport Satellite but apart from that, I'd steer clear of anything on my sidewalls.

Sorry, but you did ask for opinions :icon_mrgreen:

Tiger Paw is actually an back in the day type available tire.

The only tire I ever had blow out on me was an Indy 500. I am actually becoming a big fan of Toyo Proxies right now. Sorry it doesn't go to your RWL question per se'. I am running BFG T/As on my Roadrunner mainly due to sizing and the fact I already had 'em.

well, need new rims and tires for the RR,
but this is already set...

IMG_1069.jpg

and if this does not scream 70s at you I don't know what will...

DSCN4403.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back