• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally ordered my S60! what to expect?

PeteyDaMan

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:48 PM
Reaction score
Hi All,
I finally bit the bullet and order a new S60 from Dr Diff for my 71 Charger.

I want to make sure I have all the parts I need so I can get it in the car as soon as I get it.

The car currently has an 8 3/4

What is the tube diameter of the S60 vs the 8 3/4? Do I need new shock plates?

I know I'll have to have the drive shaft shortened but obviously can't do that in advance.

I'm planning of reusing my 10" drums until I can scrape together enough to go for the 11" (and when they get back in stock)

Anything else I'm missing?

Why not ask Cass aka Dr. Diff? I know on my 69 I reused my shock plates.

I did the switchover and didn't need anything else other than the driveshaft. Everything else switched over. If you want to run a pinion snubber Cass offers one, but it isn't adjustable. If you went with the S-trak you will really like the unit. Very predictable and quiet.

Edit: I did need to switch the brake lines that run from the distribution block. You can get away with the old one's but they don't fit as nice as if made for the Dana.

Hi All,

I want to make sure I have all the parts I need so I can get it in the car as soon as I get it.

I know I'll have to have the drive shaft shortened but obviously can't do that in advance.

I'm planning of reusing my 10" drums until I can scrape together enough to go for the 11" (and when they get back in stock)

You will be very satisfied with Dr. Diff's products and services.

Thanks all,
I emailed Cass and he confirmed the shock plates and brakes from my 8 3/4 will work.

Once I get it installed I'll list my 8 3/4 for sale here and hopefully make a few $$$ to offset the cost of the S60

The 10” drum brakes on my 73 gave me a lot of trouble. The drums interfered with the shoes, and backing plates. It was a slight amount, just when the lugs were tightened.

Initially I spaced out the drums .060”, then eventually shimmed the axles out so I didn’t have to use the drum shims. I’m not crazy about the axle shims either, so when I’m done drag racing I’ll probably go back to the drums shims.

Edit: Fixed drum shims was wheel shims

Ask Cass what the difference in yoke to axle centerline length is between the 2 axles, then you can get a drive shaft fabbed. I assume you are getting a 1350 u-joint on the S60, are you beefing up the trans yoke as well?
Mike

Ask Cass what the difference in yoke to axle centerline length is between the 2 axles, then you can get a drive shaft fabbed. I assume you are getting a 1350 u-joint on the S60, are you beefing up the trans yoke as well?
Mike
I upgraded both yokes to 1350 with a Strange driveshaft when I went to the 512 and 4 speed

Hi All,

What's an S60? Is it the rear end assembly? Never heard it by that description.....Dana 60?......
BOB RENTON

1723772184719.png

The adjustable bearings are a god send. I've set up many Dana 60's and spreading the case to get the diff in and out and pulling and pressing side bearings is not something I enjoy.

Hi Bob,
It's more about strength for me. The 8 3/4 is ok for street use since the street tires are the weakest point. They'll start spinning before the axles break or the gears go boom.
Once I hit the track and put on sticky tires and dump the clutch, that 8 3/4 isn't going to be long for this world.
Since I can't afford a real Dana 60, the aftermarket Strange S60 is a great alternative.
I also get a new Sure-trac helical gear limited slip diff, 9 3/4 ring gear, 35 spline axles and a rear cover girdle.

It ain't cheap but it beats ruining a perfectly good 8 3/4

The adjustable bearings are a god send. I've set up many Dana 60's and spreading the case to get the diff in and out and pulling and pressing side bearings is not something I enjoy.
When you have the Dana 60 case spreader, it's easy....installing,removing the carrier, adjusting the carrier bearings ...is easy...is it worth the difference?..I think so, but many do not....you pay your $$ and take your choice...
BOB RENTON

When you have the Dana 60 case spreader, it's easy....installing,removing the carrier, adjusting the carrier bearings ...is easy...is it worth the difference?..I think so, but many do not....you pay your $$ and take your choice...
BOB RENTON
The S60 is a really good package for the money.
All new parts , I think the housing is supposed to be stronger, all kinds of options to choose from.
If you’re not doing a resto and don’t have an existing unit it makes sense.

BOB RENTON
What $$ difference? A NEW strange 60 is cheaper than a collector grade Dana 60 that might need nothing.... or everything. And a BUNCH easier than converting a truck Dana 60 (or 61).
I might buy a strange 60 for my 62, but the original Dana 60 in my rr is worth lots more to me than the S60.

Hi Bob,
It's more about strength for me. The 8 3/4 is ok for street use since the street tires are the weakest point. They'll start spinning before the axles break or the gears go boom.
Once I hit the track and put on sticky tires and dump the clutch, that 8 3/4 isn't going to be long for this world.
Since I can't afford a real Dana 60, the aftermarket Strange S60 is a great alternative.
I also get a new Sure-trac helical gear limited slip diff, 9 3/4 ring gear, 35 spline axles and a rear cover girdle.

It ain't cheap but it beats ruining a perfectly good 8 3/4
My RS23V0A****** '70 GTX has an origional Dana 60, 4.10:1, included as part of a A34 Super Trac Pac option......I DO NOT NOR INTEND TO RACE THE CAR.....it just belongs on the car....and looks great.....
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back