• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally ordered my S60! what to expect?

My RS23V0A****** '70 GTX has an origional Dana 60, 4.10:1, included as part of a A34 Super Trac Pac option......I DO NOT NOR INTEND TO RACE THE CAR.....it just belongs on the car....and looks great.....
BOB RENTON
So does mine, RM21M9Axxxxxx, but if I want a Dana for my bracket race car, I'm gonna get a S60 instead of looking for a Dana out of a car like yours or mine.... cause I can get it built EXACTLY the way I want it, instead of trying to make a stocker or a truck Dana work.
When i was younger, stronger, working, and broke, I would have done a truck unit. No more.

I bought one for my 71 Charger R/T it was $3019 shipped. It fit perfectly.

I put the Strange S60 (4.10 Spool, 1350 yoke) in my '71 Charger many years ago. I did use dana 60 reproduction brake lines, and replaced the axle flange T-bolts and nuts with factory type reproduction ones that have the taller/longer nuts. My S60 came with the thin flanged type nuts, and when mounting the brake backing plate to the axle, I tried to torque the nuts that came with the S60 to 30-ft/lbs and they stripped out.
This is what the strange S60 T-Bolts & nuts looked like when I got my axle: Strange Engineering 3/8" housing end stud kit (10 each- T-bolts, washers, & nuts) - H1133STKIT

Replaced the T-Bolts with the factory type studs like Dr. Diff has, just the nuts were like originals, not nylock: Mopar Housing End Stud Kit

I replaced my S60 T-Bolts with these too.
I posted because that was the only issue I had with the S60. All else was good.
I spent the $$$ on a Mark Williams 3.5" Chromoly driveshaft too. No driveline vibrations now. Before the car had pretty bad driveshaft vibrations with the factory original driveshaft.

Ask Cass what the difference in yoke to axle centerline length is between the 2 axles, then you can get a drive shaft fabbed. I assume you are getting a 1350 u-joint on the S60, are you beefing up the trans yoke as well?
Mike
Difference is 1.14", Dana driveshaft is shorter.

When you have the Dana 60 case spreader, it's easy....installing,removing the carrier, adjusting the carrier bearings ...is easy...is it worth the difference?..I think so, but many do not....you pay your $$ and take your choice...
BOB RENTON
It’s faster Bob, no guess work on what shims to get backlash right (done like the 8-3/4), never have to remove carrier bearings (unless backlash is to tight). I’m sure you can see that advantage.

It’s faster Bob, no guess work on what shims to get backlash right (done like the 8-3/4), never have to remove carrier bearings (unless backlash is to tight). I’m sure you can see that advantage.
I've had the car for 34 years, and had the DANA 60 rebuilt once, 33 years ago.....ease of adjustment is not an issue.....Dana's methodology is just fine.....
BOB RENTON

I've had the car for 34 years, and had the DANA 60 rebuilt once, 33 years ago.....ease of adjustment is not an issue.....Dana's methodology is just fine.....
BOB RENTON
But can you understand that for some people it may be an advantage? Gosh dang!

So does mine, RM21M9Axxxxxx, but if I want a Dana for my bracket race car, I'm gonna get a S60 instead of looking for a Dana out of a car like yours or mine.... cause I can get it built EXACTLY the way I want it, instead of trying to make a stocker or a truck Dana work.
When i was younger, stronger, working, and broke, I would have done a truck unit. No more.
I bought a S60 housing at stock 70 b body dimensions, I purchased a 30 spline 4.10 D60 Trak-lock out of a Dodge CUMMINS powered pickup. I've seen these trucks pull 5th wheels loaded with simmon forms and bobcats thru mud and gravel. I want 500 h.p at the rear wheels so I figured this unit was more than enough. I also purchased a set of STRANGE 30 spline axles for an 8.75 and installed those. If I break it I'll upgrade but all together it cost 1500.00 + r - with assembly.....If I remember correctly the 8.75s were used in the 426 W & HEMI auto drag cars in the mid 60's ???

0224171417.jpg

0123181452.jpg

I bought a S60 housing at stock 70 b body dimensions, I purchased a 30 spline 4.10 D60 Trak-lock out of a Dodge CUMMINS powered pickup. I've seen these trucks pull 5th wheels loaded with simmon forms and bobcats thru mud and gravel. I want 500 h.p at the rear wheels so I figured this unit was more than enough. I also purchased a set of STRANGE 30 spline axles for an 8.75 and installed those. If I break it I'll upgrade but all together it cost 1500.00 + r - with assembly.....If I remember correctly the 8.75s were used in the 426 W & HEMI auto drag cars in the mid 60's ???

View attachment 1712922

View attachment 1712925
Dana 60s were used behind hemis and 440s with 4speeds, starting in 1966. Hemis and 440s still used 8 3/4 as standard with 727s, but I think you could upgrade to a dana with certain suspension/gearing packages. I'm not sure when a dana became standard with a hemi/727. A 4.10 dana was standard, even with a 727 in the 69 1/2 Sixpack cars.
So prior to 66, hemis, maxwedges, and 426 street wedges all came with a 8 3/4, even with stick shifts.

For those that change gears daily or weekly......yes....its an advantage.....for those of us who don't....not.....
BOB RENTON
Just the ability to get the precise preload on the carrier bearing is worth it, wether once every 20 years or every month on a race car. After doing so many I would’ve been very happy with them. I’ve looked into adapting-making adjusters on the stock housing, sleeve with a spanner nut is my idea.

I think almost $800 with shipping, but that was over 10 years ago.
Just looked at the cost now, with yoke (no shipping) $1,018
39850 - 3-1/2
Compare this to this to the cost of an S60 and you see what I mean about the S60 being a good deal

Compare this to this to the cost of an S60 and you see what I mean about the S60 being a good deal
Last year I was looking at the bare housing (I have all the rest) around $500 and change

Auto Transport Service
Back