• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Firewall wiring questions

BamaCharger66

Local time
12:47 PM
Reaction score
Trying to figure out wiring on my ‘66 Charger with its ‘65 413 that I just installed. My other ‘66 Charger had an obvious bolt that my battery’s pos cable terminated to to ultimately power the car’s ignition and dash/lights/horns/etc.
I don’t see the same type termination point on this ‘66. Where’s that post/bolt?

image.jpg

Should have a starter relay mounted where the two holes are.
It should have yellow from the start ignition, brown to the neutral safety relay on the trans, heavy brown to the starter, battery power and a fusible link back into the bulkhead.

That little relay mounted below does not belong there.
You've got some detective work to do.

Yep, bolts on to the 2 holes right above the horn relay

My ‘67 parts Charger does have one with a post. I’ll remove this one that doesn’t belong, install the ‘67’s and go from there. Thx guys.

My ‘67 parts Charger does have one with a post. I’ll remove this one that doesn’t belong, install the ‘67’s and go from there. Thx guys.
Stop right there.
Leave the horn relay alone. Just install the start relay from your 67.

Hey Man where are you at in Bama? I'm in the process of building a 66 too and I'm in Mobile

Then it's mounted like a 67? Did you put a 67 harness in it?
Well kind of a long story.
Had a self induced wiring fire in 2000 by shorting the starter relay battery stud to ground modeling some ram air hose under the hood.
A very dumb mistake when I shut the hood on it.

I spliced in a bunch of wiring from a 67 Satellite parts car my brother had at the time.
I put a new engine harness in it 2021.
But I don't recall ever relocating the horn relay (perhaps I did back in 2000 and just don't recall).

Well kind of a long story.
Had a self induced wiring fire in 2000 by shorting the starter relay battery stud to ground modeling some ram air hose under the hood.
A very dumb mistake when I shut the hood on it.

I spliced in a bunch of wiring from a 67 Satellite parts car my brother had at the time.
I put a new engine harness in it 2021.
But I don't recall ever relocating the horn relay (perhaps I did back in 2000 and just don't recall).
Well then there ya go. You should have the hole and the bump like my white 66, whereas that doesn't exist on the 67
20240805_124121.jpg
20240805_124137.jpg

I have yellow and green wires too. In one of your photos it is one way, and in the other photo it is reversed….. ??
Keen eye. The red one is correct. But really doesn't matter much as it's just an energizing coil

I wasn't going to say anything.
I'll change it already!!! :rofl:
Did you notice the rubber cap on the positive stud? Yup, just about melted er when the breather welded to the stud and the valve cover

Well… no power…
I see a crusty fuse box near the e brake release…. I’ll start there I guess? I’m not getting anything.
The square plastic housing on the firewall; what type connector feeds into that? How do I remove a wire / connector from that panel? Thx.

I’m reading where the lower left, vertical tab is for the transmission neutral switch… and another saying it is a ground…

Auto Transport Service
Back