• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First new tool box since '67...

Krooser

Local time
12:19 AM
Reaction score
When I started working at a Chebby dealer in February of '67 I bought a new MAC upper tool box. 26" wide...pretty much the standard back then.

$95.

Then I added a new MBC roll cabinet.

$130.

Still have both.

Over the next 50 years I assembled a fleet of misc boxes to handle my newly acquired additions to my tools...I think I have five of various sizes and brands.

Recently I decided to look for a larger box to consolidate all, or most, of my tools into one deal.

I looked at most of the brands...CAT, Husky, Black Diamond, Horrible Freight, Craftsman etc. All had good and bad points.

I thought about 52-56" top and bottom. Figured I'd buy the roll cabinet first then the top box after I save enough to pay cash for both.

Then the 72" roll cabs started looking good...figured I could buy a 56" top for it later.

I did a hands on test of most actually touching Black Diamond (#2 choice), Menards (#1) and others.

I wanted a deep box to store my larger wrenches. 18-20" depth was too shallow.

I thought I was going to buy the Black Diamond 72" but they don't offer a matching top box and don't offer any side boxes for expansion.

That left the Menard's 72"..nice quality, great drawer handles (HF's are terrible).

Then, while taking a last look at Home Depot, I got two finance offers.

The first from PayPal
offering 6 or 12 month zero interest financing.
The second from Home Depot offering me $100 off the purchase price if I apply for a HD store card...no purchase needed.

So I bought the Home Depot Husky on the 6 month deal from PayPal and got the $100 discount.

Introducing Bubba...a 84" wide, 23" deep mega box that will help store most of my tools until I assume room temperature.

1728234530032.jpeg

Last edited:
When I started working at a Chebby dealer in February of '67 I bought a new MAC upper tool box. 26" wide...pretty much the standard back then.

$95.

$130.

Still have both.

Over the next 50 years I assembled a fleet of misc boxes to handle my newly acquired additions to my tools...I think I have five of various sizes and brands.

Recently I decided to look for a larger box to consolidate all, or most, of my tools into one deal.

I looked at most of the brands...CAT, Husky, Black Diamond, Horrible Freight, Craftsman etc. All had good and bad points.

I thought about 52-56" top and bottom. Figured I'd buy the roll cabinet first then the top box after I save enough to pay cash for both.

Then the 72" roll cabs started looking good...figured I could buy a 56" top for it later.

I did a hands on test of most actually touching Black Diamond (#2 choice), Menards (#1) and others.

I thought I was going to buy the Black Diamond 72" but they don't offer a matching top box and don't offer any side boxes for expansion.

That left the Menard's 72"..nice quality, great drawer handles (HF's are terrible).

The first from PayPal
The second from Home Depot offering me $100 off the purchase price if I apply for a HD store card...no purchase needed.

So I bought it on the 6 month deal from PayPal and got the $100 discount.

Introducing Bubba...a 84" wide, 23" deep mega box that will help store most of my tools until I assume room temperature.

View attachment 1737683
MEGA BIG

Looks decent. I'm up to six fairly big boxes and excess on the wall and on shelves. I need to do something as well.

Free delivery was included...should be here next week.

I've been layering tools in many drawers the last several years, often having to take tools out to get to other ones.
I'm over due for another box too, but I always seem to find an excuse to not spend the money.
But it's getting more and more difficult to avoid.
Soon enough.

$95.

$130.

Still have both.

The first from PayPal

So I bought the Home Depot Husky on the 6 month deal from PayPal and got the $100 discount.

View attachment 1737683
Do you have to get special permits to move it! :lol:

I gave up on the tool box except for the specialty tools. Got tired of opening and closing the draws.
Most tools are on the workbench or a tool cart for the sockets, wrenches ect. I can wheel it around the shop or out in front of the stalls.

1728351188115.png

^^^ same thought for me. I'm gonna get the US general tool cart the bigger one with drawers. I don't even use all my tools and I'm so over stocked on tools. I think the cart is my way to go just for my core tools I can move with me car to car around my shop

Nice box... I still have my first tool box (top and bottom) that my parents bought for me one Christmas when I was about 11-12 years old. I have just added boxes over the years. It is packed. I also need a nice larger box. I just don't have the room for it.

20161104_213833 (004).jpg

Nice! love that big table on the top, you can never have too much benchtop space

I've got two 42" top and bottom in my garage, but one is only 1/3 full.

I have a 30" with a 24" box on top in the "wood shop" screen porch plus a 96x28 cabinet/work bench.

At the shop, I have a 32 top and mid section on a media cart, and recently added a 60" by 72 high HON office legal cabinet.

...and a small bag of common stuff in all three vehicles.

Harsh realization when you get an off-site shop that now you need a second full set of tools.

I have about 5-6 of those carts that I use on projects. Handy place to keep the parts and tools for a specific job.

IMG_4457.jpeg

Got this one about 3 years ago at Home Depot. It was a Black Friday loss leader - they had three of them for $450. They even gave me a military discount so I got it for around $400.
IMG_4440.jpeg

Then, I bought the cabinets on the left from Costco last year for $1,100.

$95.

$130.

Still have both.

The first from PayPal

View attachment 1737683
I have the same tool box. It's been great... seems to be well built. When I saw that box I wanted it!
I thought I would use top to work on...but it also can stockpile lots of car parts!

Update...

Seems we had some communication issues when I ordered this box. My wifi was acting up...maybe that hurricane disputed something but my order was never officially received by HD or so they say.

I got a confirmation email...and the approval for my new HD credit card. But when I tried to look for any info on shipping dates I came up empty.

I called customer no service and they did not have any info that my order had been paid by PayPal.

I can go to the store and get a temp card but that only allows me to buy at the store and my box is not stocked at any store near me.

But all is not lost..

While trying to get this fixed I found the same box with a stainless steel top for $100 more so I'm going to wait for my card to show up and buy it online...that gives me a $100 discount.

Here's a couple pix of the boxes I now have.

The first are the boxes in my main shop. The ones with my name I bought in '67.

The next picture is from my enhine assembly room. I'll move one of my smaller roll cabs in there to house all my mics and gagged plus my other assembly tools.

Later I plan on buying a 52" box to put on the work bench and get rud of the $10 black box you see there.

The last photo is of my work area with my lift. Ill put a smaller bix in the front si I have my oil change, brake tools and such at a handy spot.

Nice to see pix of your own boxes..

20241011_210917.jpg

20241011_210948.jpg

20241011_211033.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back