• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frothy dipstick, white smoke on start up no other signs of blown head gasket

jogirob

Local time
7:08 PM
Reaction score
After doing some reading I'm not sure anymore if I have a blown head gasket or not.

With the crummy weather I'be been driving the car maybe once every other week. Today was a good day to take her out for a spin. It was still cold out, probably 40 degrees. I checked the oil and low and behold I find this congealed milky brown forth all up and down the dip stick.

20190112_125917.jpg
20190112_125917.jpg
20190112_130153.jpg

These two were taken after I wiped up the dipstick and re-inserted it. I wish I had my camera phone on the first run.

When I saw this immediately I thought about a blown head gasket because the last time I drove the car it was smoking a lot (during start up during a cold 35' night).

I checked the oil filler caps and crank case vent filter expecting some grodie stuff but it didn't look bad at all:
20190112_130443.jpg
20190112_130251.jpg

I started the car up and it just billowed white smoke, especially out of the passenger side side exhaust. I figured it was just cold so I let it run for about 10 minutes and the thickness of the smoke was all the same. I turned the car off before I did any damage.

After reading through some pointers on the forum I went ahead and drained an oil sample. Looked normal with no water droplets at all. Was really dirty though as if I hadn't changed the oil in like 5k miles. It's only been like 1k miles.

I opened the radiator cap while the car was cold and engine was running and no bubbles. Coolant levels were low though, probably a good half gallon. There have been signs of coolant leakage ever since I started storing the car in this freezing cold weather. The leak went all the way to my garage wall. This is the seep area:
seep.jpg

What is that half dollar looking thing? I snugged it up, it was definitely not tight. The metal seems so flimsy I didn't want to overtorque the nut and bend the metal and cause an even worse leak. I don't even know what the thing is called so I can't look up the torque specs :-/

Now that the weather is nicer, like 60'F there is no more smoke at all. I still see that milky froth on the dipstick though, particularly on one side of the dipstick. Car runs fine, no weird noises.

What's funny is that I was doing the oil change on my Tacoma and I noticed the same spooge on its cap. Way more accumulated than on the Charger but the Tacoma dipstick is totally clean. All the oil I drained looked normal.
20190112_160554.jpg

So what's the deal here!? Is it just something in the Sacramento air?

sounds like a blown head gasket or its running way to lean for another reason, maybe intake leak somewhere?

almost positive you got a leaking head gasket especially with water in the oil (the frothy dipstick tells me that)

That thing on the side of your block appears to be an expandable casting plug. Something one might use to replace a rusty (leaky) original style plug. There is a better adjustable plug available than the rubber ones. I can post a photo if you'd like.
But the plug isn't causing the other problems you've mentioned.

It would've shown up on the low point oil drain test since the coolant would settle closer to the drain plug no? When looking in the radiator and overflow bottle the antifreeze green and clean by the way. I was about .5 Gal low on coolant.

Could it just be condensation from sitting for so long in such a cold climate? *Crosses fingers* The white smoke disappears once the weather is not cold or when I'm driving around at operating temps. Wouldn't I get white smoke all the time?

Last edited:
That's definitely condensation.

How often do you start it, for short periods?

When you go for a spin are you bringing it up to temp and driving for 30 minutes (more,less)?

Just curious what oil you're running, and how long since the last change?

Don't run the engine like that, in my experience that's a blown gasket or a cracked head, if It was my car I tear down the heads and take it to the machine shop to inspection, don't take unnecessary risk there's something really bad with water in the oil.

Remember the radiator main function is to cool down the cylinders heads and the only place in the engine were the water can mix with the oil are the heads.

If your coolant is down by 2 quarts and there is white smoke, it is definitely getting into your engine.... when it is warmed up, the heat expands the metal and might seal it up. It may very well be a cracked head as stated above.

That's definitely condensation.

How often do you start it, for short periods?

When you go for a spin are you bringing it up to temp and driving for 30 minutes (more,less)?

Just curious what oil you're running, and how long since the last change?

These last few months I maybe start it up once every 2 weeks. It's too cold and the car doesn't have heat. Previous owner pulled the hoses due to a leaking heat exchanger. When I start it up I just let it idle in the garage for about 10 minutes, with all garage doors open of course.

Valvoline full synthetic high milage 0w-20. I changed it maybe 1000 miles ago or about 3 or 4 months.

If your coolant is down by 2 quarts and there is white smoke, it is definitely getting into your engine.... when it is warmed up, the heat expands the metal and might seal it up. It may very well be a cracked head as stated above.
This would explain why I open the garage to a long puddle of coolant any time there was a particularly cold night the day before.

Idea, what if I waited for Spring weather? ^_^

And yea now that I think of it 0w-20 doesn't sound right, that's exactly what I use on the Tacoma. Can't remember what I used on the Charger.

Last edited:
These last few months I maybe start it up once every 2 weeks. It's too cold and the car doesn't have heat. Previous owner pulled the hoses due to a leaking heat exchanger. When I start it up I just let it idle in the garage for about 10 minutes, with all garage doors open of course.

Valvoline full synthetic high milage 0w-20. I changed it maybe 1000 miles ago or about 3 or 4 months.
what car or engine is it ?

Sweet baby Jesus, just scoped out eBay to see what a used LA 360 will run me. I was expecting to pay like $600, all that will get me is one head! Ohhhh >_< I think this may be the straw that causes me to sell.

74 Charger SE 318. Got a LA360 swap and the current engine has about 227,*** miles on it. It's up there as far as life expectancy...
I would say yes and I say a worn out head gasket, expansion and contraction of the heads due use can cause a blown head gasket and besides with that mileage wouldn't hurt to check the engine inside and please use a much ticker oil in an old engine, you may want to check the prices in Mexico for that particular engine way cheaper here.

pull the heads. check for cracks. be done with it. it may only be a blown gasket, if it isn't and you need to replace or repair the head--- I'd say just do it... what the hell is a few bucks. either way it will feel good when you fix it....

or another thought, stick a 440 in there!!!

Sweet baby Jesus, just scoped out eBay to see what a used LA 360 will run me. I was expecting to pay like $600, all that will get me is one head! Ohhhh >_< I think this may be the straw that causes me to sell.

Don't throw in the towel on this car.

pull the heads. check for cracks. be done with it. it may only be a blown gasket, if it isn't and you need to replace or repair the head--- I'd say just do it... what the hell is a few bucks. either way it will feel good when you fix it....

or another thought, stick a 440 in there!!!
Aye, it did feel nice when I replaced the tranny on my own. The engine bay looks quite spacious and inviting too, can't be all that bad. I wonder how a heavy duty TF6 (A999) would hold up to a 440.

Auto Transport Service
Back