• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel mileage

Skytrooper

1SG (Ret.)
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:11 PM
Reaction score
Ok, so I am getting 10mpg in my 440 charger with 727 auto and 3.23 rear. I think that might be par for the course.

What is the consensus?

Did you calculate any difference between city and highway?

Tuned correctly, and good fuel, my 440's get between 12 & 14 mpg. 10% ethanol = 10% less mileage, 20% ethanol = 15-20% less mileage. If you are using 93 octane 10% ethanol, 10 mpg is about right.

383 4 Bl, 727, 3.23 rear end 14" wheels here, consistent 12.5 - 12.75 MPG. Wish it was better, but think that's as good as it gets.

With a 440 under the hood? Smiles per gallon is what you look at.

With 4.57 gears 28 inch tall tires, 4500 stall converter, 950 double pump carb I average 7.8 mpg. Best I've got was 9.2.

Seems low to me. My all around mileage was consistently 12 mpg with a combo just like yours. Did not really moved off those numbers, highway or on track days. Never worse than 11, never better than 13. It maybe would do better if I babied it, but I never really drove like that.

My 508 with a solid roller cam gets about the same thing in the same car. Maybe 11 mpg.

Neither were tuned with gas mileage in mind

My 440 1967 R/T consistantly shows that it is getting 15 miles per Canadian gallon. I know my speedometer reads 10% low, so likely odometer is inaccurate by the same amount. So, it could be getting 16.5 Miles per Canadian gallon. Knock off 20% to convert Canadian gallon to U.S., and it figures to about 13 miles per U.S. gallon. This is combined city/car show/highway driving. Automatic, 3.23 gears, 235R15 rear tires, Mobil 91 with no Ethanol. Like somebody already said, It's smiles per gallon that count. I did a little tune-up on it today, and it feels like is running happier. I will have to see if it changes mpg.

Freeway mileage in my '70 Charger was 10.5 mpg with a 440 based 493 with the '509 cam, 727 and 3.23 gears. This was at speeds between 65 and 70.
Later with a Gear Vendors and a 3.91 gear (3.05 final drive) was 12.8 driving 60 mph.
A few changes later....a switch to the '528 solid cam, Tremec 5 speed and 3.55 gears (2.27 final drive) I got 15.1 with speeds between 65-70.
A few months back, 440 based 495 with bigger cam yet still the same 5 speed and 3.55 gears....shorter rear tires and 70-75 mph averages, I was back in the mid 12s range.

Last edited:
with the 6 pack I think I get 12mpg,we dont drive these for the gas mileage :lol::steering:

10-11 if I keep my foot out of it.
Single digits most of the time

That said, I dont drive it for its fuel economy

20240411_143037.jpg

What highway speed are people running? When we go to long distance shows, usually 60-65 mph. 354:1 gears and 2:75x15 on 8 inch rims. We stay off the Interstates so we can see more of State towns and countryside.
We DO NOT treat it as a marathon. It is a vacation. Leave at 7:00AM- until maybe 3PM, then sight see or just enjoy the scene.
At 65MPH I run about 3200rpm.

Last edited:
Ok, so I am getting 10mpg in my 440 charger with 727 auto and 3.23 rear. I think that might be par for the course.

What is the consensus?

There are too many variables in tire height, engine mods, driving style, tuning, highway use, etc. to really say other than "its within expected range".

With the first iteration of my road car with a 440, 727, 2.45 gears, averaging 110 mph over a 100 mile course I got 9 mpg. I sure wasn't expecting that!

my original 63 Fury 383 with 3 on tree averaged 15-16 on the road. I dared not calculate the in town. :lol:

10-11 if I keep my foot out of it.
Single digits most of the time

That said, I dont drive it for its fuel economy

View attachment 1697841
My buddy, Richard, has a 1966 Hemi Charger, and he drives it everywhere. We used to drive to Columbus for the Mopar Nationals, and Carlisle for the Mopar show, from Ontario. I remember him doing a burn-out through a Drive-Thru' beer store in Columbus.He did the Hot Rod Tour once, and Route 66 Tour 2 1/2 times. The one time, he got about half way there (Little Rock?), and his power brake booster packed it in. He could not get it replaced or repaired, so he turned around and drove back home, with no power assist. Worse than standard brakes! He did his second trip a couple of years later. Whenever we stopped for gas, he and I always used about the same amount. Automatic with 3.23 gears.

My buddy, Richard, has a 1966 Hemi Charger, and he drives it everywhere. We used to drive to Columbus for the Mopar Nationals, and Carlisle for the Mopar show, from Ontario. I remember him doing a burn-out through a Drive-Thru' beer store in Columbus.He did the Hot Rod Tour once, and Route 66 Tour 2 1/2 times. The one time, he got about half way there (Little Rock?), and his power brake booster packed it in. He could not get it replaced or repaired, so he turned around and drove back home, with no power assist. Worse than standard brakes! He did his second trip a couple of years later. Whenever we stopped for gas, he and I always used about the same amount. Automatic with 3.23 gears.

Met Richard in Bloomington at the Charger 30th. He might not remember, but we got the hard luck award for hitting a deer the size of a German Shepherd near Madison Wisconsin about 11:30PM on the night before the show. Still had crap on the fender. On the way home we bought a fender from another Charger owner near New Berlin.

Auto Transport Service
Back