• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting motor prepped for first fire.

66383charger

Local time
5:29 AM
Reaction score
Hi Gents,
My 383 is completely rebuilt, and I am almost ready to break it in.
I am following a few "how to start for the first time" guides. My question is, I have a oil prime tool and am spinning it CCW. I can feel the pump load up, and I saw oil come out the oil pressure sensor hole(forgot to install it). I have the rocker cover off and am not seeing oil come out the rockers. I have pulled all the plugs and rotated 90 degrees at a time and gone around 4 times. At each 90 degree stop I run the pump for 2 minutes.

I see a small amount of oil in the lower edge of the head and if I look through the distributor shaft hole i can see oil moving. Did i miss something during the build?

Thanks
Jeff

how much pressure do you have? I always have a manual oil pressure gauge hooked up. did you get all the oil galley plugs in ?

That is what i am worried about.
No manual gauge, I will pick one up and try again.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok now very strange, lots of oil in the passenger side rockers and nothing in the drivers side.

Doing some reading on the interweb. I might just have not stopped the cam in the correct spot to send oil up to left side bank.
Thoughts?
Jeff

Doing some reading on the interweb. I might just have not stopped the cam in the correct spot to send oil up to left side bank.
Thoughts?
Jeff

Yes, there is a hole drilled through one of the cam journals, can not remember which one, and when it is in the correct spot in rotation it should burp up a bit of oil to the heads. It is a smallish hole, off of memory about a 1/16" diameter. Try priming the pump and once it is loaded, have someone slowly turm the motor over for you, within 2 crank rotations, you should see oil at both heads.

- - - Updated - - -

I just broke in the cam on my 440 build a few days ago. I used a priming rod as well but did not check for oil in the rocker box. Shortly after running it up though, oil was leaking out of both valve covers onto the exhaust headers.

I broke mine in on a stand. I powered up the starter for a couple rotations after priming and got 80 psi at the gauge. that may be all you need to do. the assembly lube will protect the bearings.

Attachments

• oiling.jpg
    oiling.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 138
Auto Transport Service
Back