• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Going to purchase a set of 15" tires for my 67

1967coronet

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:00 AM
Reaction score
Going with 255/60/15 on the rear and 205/70/15 front.
Rear wheels are 15x7 4" bs
Front are 15x5.5
No more BFGs for me.
I'm looking at Master craft Avenger Gts
Or Cooper Cobras.
I know the coopers have a decent rep but what's the verdict on the Master Craft.
The both are a T speed rate or 118mph.
Thanks for any input.
I looked at the Mickeys also lol.

I've always ran bfg's on the front of mine. Just put on 225/70/15's on it today. They fill the wheel well nicely.

Sorry dont know about the Master Craft. I love my Coopers,on both my Bee and daily driver and grandsons suv.

I like the sizes you picked.

I have a set of mastercrafts. I like them, good traction and they ride nice. I have 2 sets of coopers, also good.

You know what BFG stands for?
basically
friggen
garbage.
And the price they want verses the quality, just not there.

I have a set of mastercrafts. I like them, good traction and they ride nice. I have 2 sets of coopers, also good.

basically
friggen
garbage.
Back in the day they were top of the line tires.

Mastercraft is owned and built by Cooper. I have sold both with no issues. Matter of preference on the trade pattern.

basically
friggen
garbage.
That's funny. I've never had a issue with bfg's.

Submitted as incidental information/opinion:

Thanks Ed, interesting video,
I am parting ways with BFG, for me the extra $40 / $50 per tire is not worth it.
My current BFGs have aged out I'm just not comfortable at speed with 10 yr old rubber.
I was just curious what the opinions were. 496polara did give me some info I was unaware of, that cooper builds master craft.
I just blasted and painted my 15s this week . I do think a set of Cooper Cobras are what I will have my tire shop order.
Thans guys for the replies.

Thanks Ed, interesting video,
I am parting ways with BFG, for me the extra $40 / $50 per tire is not worth it.
My current BFGs have aged out I'm just not comfortable at speed with 10 yr old rubber.
I was just curious what the opinions were. 496polara did give me some info I was unaware of, that cooper builds master craft.
I just blasted and painted my 15s this week . I do think a set of Cooper Cobras are what I will have my tire shop order.
Thans guys for the replies.
I'm on borrowed time with Fred's set of BFG's as well - they're 2009 as far as I can tell!
Got a couple thousand miles on them though - so I'm watching sidewalls for cracks and such.
Shows durability to me, anyways - and I've had a brand new Cooper (like, literally coming home
from the tire store brand new) blow out a sidewall, so the choice will be simple.

Doing it's thing!

CA2C28A1-3582-467F-8324-40A5D618EE9F.png

I put Mastercrafts on my D150. 275’s on the back 235 60’s on the front. I like the way they ride and I’ve had 1600 lbs. in the bed, no problem. I know you’re not going to do that… I just bought a set of BFG’s for the car, they are proud of their tires. I just thought, if I damaged a tire, (dump, material runs etc.) it would be cheaper to replace the Mastercraft.

I am fairly certain that Cooper Cobra and Mickey Thompson Sportsman are the exact same tire with different lettering. The Mickeys are a bit more expensive, probably because of the name brand. I have Coopers on all my cars with no complaints, but have run Mastercraft as well with zero issues.

FWIW I see Uniroyal and BFG throw belts in tires quicker than any other brand. Some are old and some are not. Now potholes will hurt any tire if the impact is large enough.

Most of our old cars are stored inside and they seem to not dry rot and crack as quick as a tire that is left outside.

FWIW I see Uniroyal and BFG throw belts in tires quicker than any other brand. Some are old and some are not. Now potholes will hurt any tire if the impact is large enough.

Most of our old cars are stored inside and they seem to not dry rot and crack as quick as a tire that is left outside.
Thanks, yep my bfgs all look good but the 10 year age on them has me ready to buy some new rubber.

I have had good results from the Coopers on my pickup, and M/T slicks on my racecar.
Since Cobras, M/T, and Mastercraft are all built by Cooper, one of those would be my choice.

BFG was bought by Michelin. They promptly turned BFG into their second string bargain brand and made big profits selling the brand name to Americans while the continued to cheapen the product. Next up was create Uniroyal so they had a bargain tire too.
Original BFG TKO's: People reporting getting 80k miles out of them and flawless balance and basically no issues.
Michelin TKO2's: Rubber compound is drastically changed, lucky to get 40k miles on them, factory defects.

Copy/paste this to their entire line up.
While Michelin bought BFG well before the quality started to fail, it was the exodus of American manufacturing to offshore places that really altered the lineup. Michelin decided their brand would be the flagship, BFG the sort of middle and Uniroyal would then become Walmart tires, essentially. Very typical late 90's early 2000's business model based on "branding".

Cooper and Mastercraft are the same company, basically. Cooper does make a few tires in the USA. Most come out of Canada. I bought some Mastercraft and they are nice tires. I would have gotten Cobras but the Mastercraft was $16/tire less at Summit at the time for same size. No complaints.

Auto Transport Service
Back