• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gonna Be Driving the Car 650 miles!! Advice???

The Satellite Cometh

Local time
10:01 AM
Reaction score
Guys,

I am totally new at this and admittedly quite apprehensive.

I am driving down to SC tonight to get my 68 Satellite and drive it home about 650 miles back to NJ.

Any advice? I am going to be bringing a ratchet set and screwdrivers, a cooler, and anything else I can think of.

So anyone just chime in and let me know, I would like to draw off the experience in here.

Thanks in advance.

Don:homework:

What kind of shape is the car in? Tool kit, bailing wire, duct tape, electrical tape, extra fuses, spare tire....but if the car is in good condition, you really don't need that stuff but it's nice to have just in case.

The car was in real good condition. Fresh motor swap to a 440 (used, but newly rebuilt). New radiator, new hoses, new carb, new master cylinder, front disc brake conversion.

I am just gonna go over the car, I hope the wipers and lights work. The car was in miraculous shape, dare I say survivor. Kept well stored out of the elements.

I looked into a trailer and it was just too much $$$ because I don't have a tow vehicle. U-Haul wanted .99 a mile. That would be about $1300 - ummm, no.

Hot weather is supposed to break up in Jersey sometime tonight down to mid 70's which is good, but I know SC is gonna be HOTTTT.

Just bring the typical parts that may break, Rad hoses, points, rotor, cap, ballast, fuel filter.

These cars were reliable in their day, no reason to think any less now. I trust the 69 or the 41 more than my 99 Explorer, or 88 Plymouth, cause i can fix them on the side of the road if they break.

After driving 10,000 miles in a yr and a half in the 69, nothing has ever broken on me. Dont know how many miles are on the engine as the car was a 318, with a transplanted 440. the Odometer states 59,000 on the car

gas can,jumper cables,zip ties,duct tape rainx in case the wipers dont work.

also might want to bring all fluids, brake,coolant,etc... good suggestions above, fuses, extra wire,tape,floor jack/bottle jack,fire extinguisher(just in case),rags ,if the car has been sitting perhaps some of that fuel stabilizer. these things might help

I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy here - but thanks for the suggestions guys!

In the fall of 2010 I bought a 62 dart wagon sight unseen. I flew 800 miles to Milwaukee where my brother picked me up and drove me straight to Wapauca, paid the dude and drove to my bros, 100 miles away. Next morning I fired it up, gassed it and drove non stop home [gas stops and coffee of course] without a hiccup. The biggest problem was me plotting and planning about all the things I liked and disliked. Get in that car, bring credit cards and have some fun.....lifetime experiance.

Thanks bob! My brother, a gearhead himself, is telling me not to worry about it either - saying "these things were built to last" and all.

Me and my Dad are driving down tonight to get it in the morning. Will be nice to spend time with the old man.

God knows this excursion is a once in a lifetime experience.

YES! I suggest you bring a camera! I have always thought it would be so cool to go a long distance buy a car and drive it long distance home. It could be like Vanishing Point! ( minus the cops and firey crash at the end i hope ) Hell, I will come down and co-pilot for ya.

Camera is packed! Big time! Just say a prayer for me. I'm worried. It's insured, but I am worried.

I know how nerve racking it is buying one semi-locally and getting it home,so we will be thinking of you. Im sure it will be fine and something you will remember for a lifetime. Dont spend the whole time worrying about on the way home, sit back and enjoy it. Dont forget to let us know how it goes and post the pics. of the trip. Now, be like a kid at Christmas and not sleep a wink until you get home. lol!

Trust in the MoPar Gods and bring the thing home. If you take everything some of the guys are suggesting you would have to pull a trailer.lol

HAHAHAHA. Yea I was thinking that.

I will trust in the Mopar gods - they understand this car will be going to the best home.

hopefully you got triple aaa if you get introuble along the way i only live a couple miles from 95 call me i live in fredericksburg va . ronny 540/419/8004

i have done this before and i am an old truck driver. i would stay off the big road for a bit. get it warmed up and feel it out. you should be able to feel any weak spots with in 30 to 50 miles of stop and go driving. if you feel comfortable get on the big road and go.
pack up a tool kit of common tools, make sure the spare and jack are in good shape. fluids are level and don't smell burnt. and for chriests sake have fun.

Just enjoy the experience, and bring some extra fluids maybe spare belts and especially a spare resistor is a MUST, and take your time and check things as you go along the day!
Oh and take time to do some enjoy the time with your Dad! Good or bad you won`t regret it!

Auto Transport Service
Back