• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should i replace or roll the dice

mountain33

Local time
2:41 PM
Reaction score
I have a set of tires currently on my car. Cooper Cobras. 3000 miles on them 10 years old. They still look like new, only issue is. When I was checking the tire pressure I noticed hairline cracks in the tread. Sidewalls are fine. Only small cracks on the tread. Ive read that the tread could separate. True? I barley use car anymore and when I do 50mph is the fastest I go and I usually limit my driving to shows within an hour ride. Is this something to be concerned about or am i just worrying for no reason? Not a big deal to replace them but why spend money needlessly. Got a feeling you all are going to say replace. Thanks in advance for responses.

If it wasnt currently raining would send pictures. They are barely noticeable. This year probably going to be less mileage. Thinking of selling. Depends on what happens when i put on new exhaust. The sound could change my mind.

Keep an eye on them, and if they get a bit shakey, you know somethings up

I made it home on this trailer tire. I went ahead and replaced it even though it still had about 40% tread left.
20200809_093535.jpg

Looks like about 40 psi from here.

They are safe for too hot hole shots and burn outs. You wouldn't do it to them when new, but now you can do it with a bigger smile.

The choice is up to you. This guy tried it on 10 year old BFG's

IMG_2710.jpg

seems like the newer tires dry out / crack fast . i changed quite a few lately. tread is wonderful, sometimes like new . just a small amount of dry rot or cracks most people change them out . i’ve not had one go bad on me yet, but my miles per year is much less than it was in the past….

I have a set of tires currently on my car. Cooper Cobras. 3000 miles on them 10 years old. They still look like new, only issue is. When I was checking the tire pressure I noticed hairline cracks in the tread. Sidewalls are fine. Only small cracks on the tread. Ive read that the tread could separate. True? I barley use car anymore and when I do 50mph is the fastest I go and I usually limit my driving to shows within an hour ride. Is this something to be concerned about or am i just worrying for no reason? Not a big deal to replace them but why spend money needlessly. Got a feeling you all are going to say replace. Thanks in advance for responses.
Replace after 5 yrs regardless of tread depth

Auto Transport Service
Back