• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got the '65 Coronet running

andyf

Local time
5:56 PM
Reaction score
Been sitting in the shop for about 10 years with a fresh engine but I just never had the time to finish up the little details. Finally got some time to work on it and fired it up. Sounds good. Now I need to get insurance and new tags so I can drive it. Here is a short video I took after getting it started:

DSC_1169 (Large).JPG

Sweet. Looks like a pretty solid 500 and with a third pedal. What are the plans?

No big plans. Just get it back together and then probably use it as a shop car running errands around town.

Good to see you here on this site Andy. You will be a most welcome resource. Your car is the same color as what mine used to be when new, Porsche red now, and will be eventually when I'm done with it. Some of what you have done on yours influenced me on mine plus some of the info from your handling book. You can see mine in the members projects section.

Hello Andy just wanna share some pics of my 65, i have no intentions of restoring it just going with that patina Look Lol, best of 10.36@129mph

IMG_0327.PNG IMG_0120.JPG IMG_0088.JPG IMG_0142.JPG IMG_5874.JPG

Last edited:
The Coronet is over at a friend's home shop so he can repair some minor body damage that occurred a long time ago. I've owned the car more than 40 years but never knew there was damage to the left front fender. My buddy noticed it and said he could fix it. Turns out there was a little dent and some ripples in the fender. Might have been backed into by a taller vehicle or something. We couldn't figure out what caused the damage but my friend was able to fix it.

JXHW6663 (Large).JPG

IMG_7644 (Large).JPG

My friend also filled in some holes in the hood and smoothed things out a bit. He sanded and primed the metal scoop and got the scoop properly mounted to the hood. I bought this hood scoop years ago. It was advertised as a reproduction but the fit and finish was very good. Everyone who has looked at it has been amazed at how it was made. My friend took a hard look at it and he thinks it might be an original. He found original primer and paint in a few places on the scoop which leads him to think it was originally on a car. There wouldn't be any reason for a newly made reproduction scoop to have the old factory type primer and paint on it. Guess we'll never know.

IMG_7636 (Large).JPG

I switched over to a Holley Sniper a while back. I really like having a Sniper on the car. It gives me a lot of data which is fun to look at.

DSC_4736 (Large).JPG

I switched over to a Holley Sniper a while back. I really like having a Sniper on the car. It gives me a lot of data which is fun to look at.

View attachment 1719395
Andy
What are you running for a throttle cable? Stock length?
This is my first Mopar so I am still learning and close to carb time

Dan

IMG_3082.jpeg

IMG_3081.jpeg

Looks like you have one of my throttle brackets so that is a good start. I had a slant six throttle cable in the car for a few years but then decided it was too long so I ended up using a late model throttle cable. I had to make a different end for the throttle cable since the gas pedal end is different on the older cables. It is always something with these cars.

I used to have a lot of space to work on my Coronet but now that I've moved I don't have the big shop anymore. Not having a big shop next to the house has been a major adjustment for me. I now rent a smaller shop for my business but the shop isn't big enough to accommodate the Coronet.

shop.jpg

The carpet isn't correct in my Coronet now that I removed the console. My car had a console from the factory so the carpet wasn't finished underneath. I ditched the console when I put the Doug Nash 5 speed in the car but I never fixed the carpet.
The radio has been replaced with a Holley Digital Dash. The Digital Dash connects to the Holley Sniper and displays a bunch of engine information as well as info from the onboard GPS systsem.

IMG_2678 (Large).JPG

I had to modify the Schumacher headers to clear the clutch linkage. The big problem with my car is that I moved the engine location in order to get the transmission where I wanted it. In hindsight, I should've left the engine position alone and custom built the transmission mount. But I moved the engine and that started a huge ripple effect that impacted the exhaust system, the cooling system, etc.

DSC_4398 (Large).JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back