• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got to love push mowers.

1967coronet

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:38 AM
Reaction score
Last evening as I finished up mowing with the rider it was time to trim with my trusty never fails push mower.
Check the oil.
Prime the carb.
Pull the start rope, pull again, and again
What the.... it always starts.
I even went to the shop for a can of starting fluid.
No luck. Now I'm ready to light it on fire and walk away, it's hot out I'm pissed,
Little voice in my head tells me to close the safety handle bar.
2 pulls fires right up.
I look around to see if the wife is watching. Nope, safe.

Here you go. Never fails to start. None of that high tech stuff.
1719161898074.png

Buy a Honda mower you will not regret the purchase , had mine since 2004 always started. My daughter now has it still running strong

Last evening as I finished up mowing with the rider it was time to trim with my trusty never fails push mower.
Check the oil.
Prime the carb.
Pull the start rope, pull again, and again
What the.... it always starts.
I even went to the shop for a can of starting fluid.
No luck. Now I'm ready to light it on fire and walk away, it's hot out I'm pissed,
Little voice in my head tells me to close the safety handle bar.
2 pulls fires right up.
I look around to see if the wife is watching. Nope, safe.
Wish I could say I’ve never done it.

Buy a Honda mower you will not regret the purchase , had mine since 2004 always started. My daughter now has it still running strong
I've owned two.
I damaged the first one while mowing in high grass. I caught the edge of a tractor drive shaft that wasn't visible. This bent the crank of the mower. It still ran but vibrated badly. The blades were replaced but it was quite evident that the crank was bent. A motor replacement was over half the cost of a new mower so.....
I bought my second one. Both have been great. Self drive, rear baggers. I kept the first one for spare parts. I've used the cables, the drive gears and a couple other parts from the first one to keep the second one going.
This bullshit state banned the sale of NEW gasoline powered mowers so I'm like a Cuban keeping the old stuff going.

My Honda is from around 2002 or 3 vintage. Replaced a few parts on it, wheels, blade clutch, pull starter, air filter housing, drive cable. But the motor keeps on running. Occasionally have to give it a shot of starter fluid to crank it over at the start of the season but most of the time after that it starts on second or third pull.

My two-stroke mower died recently ...well didn't die exactly. The rope pulled right out - broke, then I went to put the spring return back together, and it did the usual clown thing and went everywhere. Parts were quite well worn out.
It can be fixed, but not by me. I don't have a couple of small parts or the patience to deal with it. Twenty-five years old, and has served me well. Engine runs well, but that rope-pull was the final straw.

I had to bust out the new electric Stihl mower that I bout 18 months ago. That runs nice - quite, and only uses about one-third of the battery to do my entire section.
Using the catcher, it takes about the same amount of time as the two-stroke mower.....but quieter. The only disadvantage so far I noticed was the Stihl doesn't rev as hard, and doesn't cut too low.....so the lawn is actually looking better - no scalping of the turf so far..

:xscuseless: ...exactly the same as this screen-grab

1719168191281.png

I have a 1000sqft+ putting green in the back yard. It requires a rotary very low-cut mower. As the turf was first taking, I was cutting nearly every other morning with a true push manual rotary mower, rather than buy a $4K+ rotary turf mower
It always "started". It made for a nice sunrise exercise pick me up brief work out.
Mower still runs fine.
I gave out.
Went to synthetic turf, I spent more time messing with the green than putting.

Last edited:
When ya mow acres, your push-mowing days are over....thank God.
I still have a big burly ol' 5hp one I brought with me when I moved here in '99...
Been sitting in the shed since then, too. Damn near new, too.
Not much use for it out here on the Johnson grass.

My John Deere push mower is 20 years old, runs like new. It replaced my lawn boy iron horse, that hit a pipe and bent the crank.

Hitting stuff that is hidden in the soil....That must happen more often that I knew of.
I was mowing a section out back. the grass was maybe 12" tall. I set the deck to the highest level and still whacked the drive shaft that was embedded in the dirt but sticking up just enough to be a problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back