• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GYC - Mark Worman mentioned restoration cost

SoCal440GTX

Local time
7:38 AM
Reaction score
I think during the last GYC episode Mark mentioned the typical cost to restore a car at his shop was 80ish thousand. While that is a boatload of money I would have anticipated it to be higher. Did anyone else catch that?

I'm sure that's only labor. 1000+ hours at $65+ an hour.

Welcome to the real.world of restoration costs.......

A true professional body and paint itself will run 30-40k......

I think during the last GYC episode Mark mentioned the typical cost to restore a car at his shop was 80ish thousand. While that is a boatload of money I would have anticipated it to be higher. Did anyone else catch that?
I heard that too. I would have thought that level of restoration would be more but he is also making a butt load of money off the show.

I had mine stripped in alkaline and dipped in electrocoat. hundreds, and hundreds of hours myself (I am not a professional body man), then more body work at painters. mine paint came out pretty damn nice. i have about 23,000.00 into that, and know it could have been a lot more. that was painting the whole car on rotisserie, then shooting the main outside on its wheels, glad that's over. if your going thru the whole car and doing it yourself. you might be able to do it 70 to 80. there is a **** load of time involved into restoring these cars right, and if your buying a lot of missing parts, ouch!

Yup heard that and he only restores cars that are valuable must be nice to pick and choose your work good for them

plus 30k to get the car featured on the show... no, im not joking

Welcome to the real.world of restoration costs.......

A true professional body and paint itself will run 30-40k......

ahhh
we aren't talking about a professional restoration shop here!
they are a collision shop pretending to be a restoration shop LMAO
go to a Ken Mosher or Mike Mancini or Hodges or Julius (real shops,not made for tv crap work) and the bill is into 6 figures easy peasy.
i heard not long ago a 71 gtx from one of them came in at 110 soup to nuts..

Last edited:
ahhh
we aren't talking about a professional restoration shop here!
they are a collision shop pretending to be a restoration shop LMAO
go to a Ken Mosher or Mike Mancini or Hodges (real shops,not made for tv crap work) and the bill is into 6 figures easy peasy.
i heard not long ago a 71 gtx from one of them came in at 110 soup to nuts..
Frank

Now you know my position on gyc. Hence is why is said, "a true." They are a glorified collision shop....

I completely agree with you

it didn't look right.. lol
real world and Gyc do not belong in the same thread without a disclaimer :D
it just shows that even hack work isn't cheap.

Talked to a guy at Lebrecque Auto Craft about a 66 Hemi Belvedere II convertible they restored wouldn't say exact cost but said it was 100k plus. I drove up to look at it great job.

Ken Moser stated in an interview when he started his shop, that most restorations are around 100k. Shop rate of 65-100hr, plus parts/material/engine rebuilding, its easy to come to that amount if you pay someone to do every nut and bolt for you.

Im not a fan of the show GYC. I do watch the re runs from time to time but id like to know whats wrong with his work? Im just asking as i dont know. Either way it doesn't affect me as i dont have that kind of money to restore a hobby car.
Ive only been in one dedicated Mopar restoration shop and that was Kohrs Kustoms and he did some very excellent work

Auto Transport Service
Back