• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GYC - Mark Worman mentioned restoration cost

Thanks, always wondered about it. Thought it would be higher too.

I heard that too. I would have thought that level of restoration would be more but he is also making a butt load of money off the show.
Typically, body shop labor rates are lower than mechanic rates. You can glean that from the FantomWorks show from time to time when they talk about the final bill break down.

I, too, was surprised by Worman's cost statement, as I thought it would have been higher.

Im not a fan of the show GYC. I do watch the re runs from time to time but id like to know whats wrong with his work? Im just asking as i dont know. Either way it doesn't affect me as i dont have that kind of money to restore a hobby car.
Ive only been in one dedicated Mopar restoration shop and that was Kohrs Kustoms and he did some very excellent work

The only thing I see wrong with his work is that he puts on quite a bit of repop parts where a restoration of original parts would be better. The paint and body work look nice, assembly well done....at least on tv.

quality of workmanship comes down to who is actually putting their hands on the car......... the bigger the shop, and the constant revolving door of employees will greatly affect the outcome. Employees rarely possess the required talent, tend to get lazy, make excuses, not work well together, cop an attitude, ect........ doing the body and paint on these old cars is an art form, when I work on a big job, I know every square inch of the car when I'm done........ could you imagine a "team" of tattoo artists working on the same tat? yikes.

if I were incapable of doing this stuff, I would not be in the hobby...... there is absolutely no way I'd pay a team of "bodymen" to work on my car. I feel for those of you at their mercy; not just GYC, but anywhere.

The place I used has about 8 employees. One guy does blasting, one guy does all metal work, one guy did all the body work (other than the poor bastard that sanded all the underhood webs) and the owner did all the painting. The other two or three do nothing but mechanical and assembly on complete restorations. None of them are getting younger, so not sure how many more years this shop has left in it.

1160 hours went into my shell before I got it back and the owner didn't log his time on paint. Nothing hidden with the "Worman patented" black rinoliner underneath. I'm doing all the mechanical and assembly and currently at 820 hours on that.

Ken Moser stated in an interview when he started his shop, that most restorations are around 100k. Shop rate of 65-100hr, plus parts/material/engine rebuilding, its easy to come to that amount if you pay someone to do every nut and bolt for you.

Ken also has quite a collection of rare hard to find parts
he is a really nice guy
he had a spot at Carlisle last year,nothing there was cheap (trust me on this lol)
but oh man what he had there on his tables and in his trailer
there was stuff there you don't see every day,it was amazing if you knew what you were looking at.

i got a really really nice a12 bee lift off hood from him and more
it had come with a 70 hemi cuda and a pile of parts that he bought.
and he was trying to buy another a12 bee hood off me that i have that needs some work
but i'm going to keep it and put it on my b7 car that has a ram charger riding on it now

I'm pretty sure his {Mark's statement to Alyisa on that episode}
that $70k-$80k was a "starting number" {merely ballpark}
for a decent car, that's not a rust bucket, that's all mostly there
like the car he was doing an estimate on value on,
verification on VIN Fender tag info etc., for another local resale shop
it'd be much higher {worth it ? I don't think so}
or if it where not missing 1/2 the parts etc. like most restoration jobs
or doesn't need to find a shitload of new repop'd parts, or re-bodied...

Something about that guy just makes my skin crawl
used car, sleazebag type salesman vibe, oozes out...
{he may be a nice guy, I wouldn't know, I just know the damn show, character}
but;
I still DVR & latter FFWD to watch the damn show,
it's the only Mopar specific show or I wouldn't even do that...

He has veered away from his "all original" so called built to only OEM deal too...
{that "allegedly" was OEM quality}
"Only a handful of people in the world can do this", statement..

I respect Will & Dave, the rest I'm not sure about...

quality of workmanship comes down to who is actually putting their hands on the car......... the bigger the shop, and the constant revolving door of employees will greatly affect the outcome. Employees rarely possess the required talent, tend to get lazy, make excuses, not work well together, cop an attitude, ect........ doing the body and paint on these old cars is an art form, when I work on a big job, I know every square inch of the car when I'm done........ could you imagine a "team" of tattoo artists working on the same tat? yikes.

if I were incapable of doing this stuff, I would not be in the hobby...... there is absolutely no way I'd pay a team of "bodymen" to work on my car. I feel for those of you at their mercy; not just GYC, but anywhere.
Perfectly stated......

There is a clear reason why? GYC, Mark Worman can't get more......They are not true OE restorations.....They are OE Poser's.....

Just because you see something pretty on TV doesn't mean it is that pretty in person and then throw a butt load of Chinese parts all over it......They have gotten better with paint and body......They are just a glorified assembly shop.....Think about what they really do "in house" versus what is farmed out......

The high end Shops like Badalson, Cummings and many others do it all in house........The ends products show this....

I'm pretty sure his {Mark's statement to Alyisa on that episode}
that $70k-$80k was a "starting number" {merely ballpark}
for a decent car, that's not a rust bucket, that's all mostly there
like the car he was doing an estimate on value on,
verification on VIN Fender tag info etc., for another local resale shop
it'd be much higher {worth it ? I don't think so}
or if it where not missing 1/2 the parts etc. like most restoration jobs
or doesn't need to find a shitload of new repop'd parts, or re-bodied...

Something about that guy just makes my skin crawl
used car, sleazebag type salesman vibe, oozes out...
{he may be a nice guy, I wouldn't know, I just know the damn show, character}
but;
I still DVR & latter FFWD to watch the damn show,
it's the only Mopar specific show or I wouldn't even do that...

He has veered away from his "all original" so called built to only OEM deal too...
{that "allegedly" was OEM quality}
"Only a handful of people in the world can do this", statement..

I respect Will & Dave, the rest I'm not sure about...

he couldn't come out and say "100K" ....... that would scare people away

1000 hours to " restore" a car ? Only thing I could think of would be...how many hours were spent on grab assing, gabbing, and goofing off? How many hours were wasted on doing other things while still on my dime??. Some folks around here make a mechanic come to their shop, to keep other people from talking to the mechanic. And to keep track of the time spent..................MO

Auto Transport Service
Back