• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Happy Hemi Day!!

So here is the question I have been pondering for about a year now. I have the 426 Hemi engine that I have been gathering up parts to build. I was planning to put it in my 71 Cuda. The car is a 340 automatic car that the original drivetrain is long gone from. I was planning the Hemi engine, a Tremic 5 speed transmission and a Dana 60 for the car with a shaker hood. My friend has a 66 Charger Hemi,automatic roller that was a former drag car. The body is uncut and super solid. He already told me that he is not going to build
the car,because the value of these cars is far less than the cost of restoration on these cars, especially when you have to figure in the cost of finding a Hemi engine and rebuilding it. So which car should I put the Hemi engine in, stick with my plan of building the 71 Hemicuda clone,or buy and build the 66 Hemi Charger?

I had the same dilemma with my GTX, it's a real hemi car but would take more $ to restore than what it would be worth done. If the Charger is in decent shape and a reasonable price, I would make it roadworthy put your hemi in it and drive the snot out of it. There's a few hemi Cuda clones running around but not many real '66 hemi Chargers out there and it "appears" that you may be a Charger type of guy. (HaHa)

Just my 2 cents, for what little it's worth.

I have never owned a first generation Charger. He wants 25k for the roller. An OEM restoration on that car would be crazy expensive, I would build it in as raced condition.

Last edited:
So here is the question I have been pondering for about a year now. I have the 426 Hemi engine that I have been gathering up parts to build. I was planning to put it in my 71 Cuda. The car is a 340 automatic car that the original drivetrain is long gone from. I was planning the Hemi engine, a Tremic 5 speed transmission and a Dana 60 for the car with a shaker hood. My friend has a 66 Charger Hemi,automatic roller that was a former drag car. The body is uncut and super solid. He already told me that he is not going to build
the car,because the value of these cars is far less than the cost of restoration on these cars, especially when you have to figure in the cost of finding a Hemi engine and rebuilding it. So which car should I put the Hemi engine in, stick with my plan of building the 71 Hemicuda clone,or buy and build the 66 Hemi Charger?

A Hemi Cuda clone is probably worth more than a real 66 Hemi Charger.

I have never owned a first generation Charger. He wants 25k for the roller. An OEM restoration on that car would be crazy expensive, I would build it in as raced condition.
Hard to believe with all those cars you don't own a real charger yet.
Just do it!

I have 10 Charger R/T cars,and two Little red Express trucks. One R/T is a V code, they are pretty real.

'cuda will be worth more, more desirable to the masses
racecar or street car/clone

if you don't care about that stuff,
IMHFO the Hemi in the 66 Charger would be cool
lots of special parts for them too, hard to get/find interior or gauges & trim
if you're thinking of a racecar rendition, that's not as critical on the lil' stuff :blah:

The other part of the equasion is having to pony up 25k when I already have the Cuda. I won't sell the Cuda,because they are out of my price range to replace,and trust me I learned that the hard way by selling my 71 Cuda clone convertible right before the market absolutely exploded on them.

'cuda will be worth more, more desirable to the masses
racecar or street car/clone

if you don't care about that stuff,
IMHFO the Hemi in the 66 Charger would be cool
lots of special parts for them too, hard to get/find interior or gauges & trim
if you're thinking of a racecar rendition, that's not as critical on the lil' stuff :blah:
My friend who owns the car bought a 67 Charger 383 car with a dual quad tunnel ram Ray Barton Hemi in it. I have been trying to talk him into putting the Barton Hemi in the Hemi Charger and building it in full race trim,and putting the original 383 back in the 67 Charger,it came with the car in the purchase. I wish he would do it so I won't be tempted to buy the car! It's hard to take apart a running car and end up with two non running cars until they are both completely put back together!

Auto Transport Service
Back