• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hats

Speedbird

Bird of Pray
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:30 AM
Reaction score
Do you wear one? What kind?
I'm never without a cotton boonie. On my head as needed or in my cargo pocket
I refuse to wear a baseball especially with the uncomfortable adjustment in back..

lady-gaga-venice.jpg

For summertime around here, sometimes a hat like this…

1725891139508.jpeg

Or this type(Esther’s ain’t bad either)…

1725891016671.jpeg

And cold, in a tree stand a little something like this…

1725898891464.jpeg

Last edited:
I discovered that In cold weather a full brim is warmer than a ball cap.
I believe the brim tends to hold heat around the head.

I wear one almost all the time, but only for the last 40 years or so. Way back in my 30's I was visiting my sister in Florida, sitting in her pool sucking down a couple beers. Late that night the top of my head was on fire! Even though I still had hair, it was thin enough to allow the worst sunburn I ever experienced. Working under cars with stuff falling in your face is another good reason to wear one. I have all kinds, western, roll up, boonie, knit and a ton of baseball type hats. (Mostly with a Mopar lable on front)! I am a walking ad for Chrysler!
I almost forgot another couple reasons: Since I have had to wear safety glasses on my jobs for years now and reading glasses, rain will cause the lenses to fog or at least interfere with vision. Also, since I am considerate for other folks, the reflection of my balding head could potentially cause someone temporary blindness leading to an accident! I also have noticed that when I take a walk or work outside my heavily wooded property, the flies & bugs are definitely attracted to the reflection from my scalp. We also had to wear hard hats in specific construction areas.

Last edited:
I tie a cloth around my forehead when not wearing a hat. A long strip of old cotton T shirt is ideal. It's can also save a forehead. And absorb sweat if necessary. I'm used to having something on there
Ladies and people with hair don't appreciate the need to cover up bald I think.
Now all know why hatters were mad.
John_Tenniel_-_The_Mad_Hatter_1889_-_(MeisterDrucke-746309).jpg

I'm not a hat person. The only time I wear a ball cap is when I'm out in the sun. It's a requirement when you're bald to avoid having a head looking like a tomato. I sometimes throw on a do-rag if I'm working under the car, to have a bit of bump & bruise protection and keep the dirt and guck off my head.

My favorite hat for working in the shop is a ball cap with the visor cut down to 1/2" very comfortable I forget it is on my head most of the time.

I stepped into the sun for just a minute to wash a radiator.
And it's not even that hot here for this time of the year.
The sun. Yuck.
Screenshot_20240909_142302_Photo Editor.jpgScreenshot_20240909_142325_Gallery.jpg

I have quite the collection of hats mostly baseball style caps, probably 40
a few visors too
NFL Teams or MLB Baseball teams before they strike'd for the 5th damn time
I gave them MLB ones away
I seem to collect golf towels & golf course hats too, not intentional
some old Truckers style, the tall ball caps... from 70's
Helmets, Car related or race related, Summit, Jegs, NHRA, USAC, INDY,
FBBO, MoPar etc. :blah:

Have a few Cowboy hats still too, rarely ever wear now
(along with my Justins/Tony Llamas), I did grow up on a ranch
but most of them are from back in Lisa's rodeo days,
I just don't think about them much anymore
up on a shelf in the closet, sad when I look at them even still...

I'm going a lil' thin on top at 65,
I need to keep the hot California sun off my dome...
It's sunny a lot here...

I pick 1 or 2 hats & wear them until they are junk
only wear a hat, "usually" only when I leave the house/or my truck,
unless working out in the sun or golfing maybe...

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back