• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Header clearance for fuel hose

roadrunnerh

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:30 AM
Reaction score
As I button up this engine swap, the 383 is sitting comfortably in my Scamp with it's fancy (EXPENSIVE) tti headers.
I was running the fuel lines in their factory spot and were fine with HP manifolds, but I had to lower the line because the fuel hose from the steel line to the fuel pump was touching the header.
I included a couple pics. How close is too close? I think I might buy a hi temp heat sleeve material to slide over the hose?
What do you think is "too close"? Thanks guys!
fuel line header clearance 1.jpg
fuel line header clearance 2.jpg
fuel line header clearance 3.jpg

What do I think? I think a 383 in a Scamp is awesome :thumbsup:

Keep the fuel line as close to the rail as possible. The coating helps the header radiate less heat

@RemCharger thanks man! Here's a full shot - getting close. I had hoped to be this far about a month ago, but...
Engine in Sept 24.jpg

Waaaay beyond time and BUDGET!

looking good Harry...... keep those fuel lines as cool as possible, like us :D

What would you recommend Don?
It's a tight neighborhood down there! LOL
You should see my mandatory $400 starter on the other side...

I'd run an elbow off the pump, so the hose has more clearance from the header tube, and cover the hose with a thermo sleeve.

What type of elbow fitting? The pump has the hose barb end.

There is a tube coming off the fuel pump, cannot put an elbow on it.

Make the rubber line a bit longer so it goes away from the header more, and put a heat sleeve over it.

Fellow Scamp owner. Mine is a small block but I've got 1-7/8" primaries and it's TIGHT in there.

My return line is pretty close to the headers so I wrapped them in thermal sleeving and it's worked great.

20240930_144819.jpg

Last edited:
Most fuel line has a maximum heat rating of 275 - 300F.

Yeah, I used the same sleeve as pictured earlier. Need to keep that fuel cool! I have it on my return
lines from the trans cooler too. Got the larger diameter for the main lead for the starter also. I got
mine on Flea-Bay.

Heat is heat ... a sleeve is only useful till its heat saturated - which doesn't take very long. Likewise header coatings don't do a hell of a lot either - unlike the tiles on the space shuttle, etc.. The best defense is a large heat disipating surface between the heat source and what you're trying to protect - like a large piece of thin aluminum which will shield the the hose and dissipate the heat outwards from the hot spot. Take a look at exhaust heat shields on modern cars - very thin aluminum with a fiberglass layer - not in direct contact with either the heat source or the floor.

I just installed one of these fibreglass "fire sleeves" available on Amazon. It is 3' long and perfect length to fit the steel line that is in the engine compartment on my car.
The description says it all - its a fire sleeve - not a heat sleeve. It'll offer minimal protection from heat.

Exactly Stan, we have to firesleeve fuel and oil lines on our airplanes... it has nothing to do with heat soak. Only thing that works for that is a "free air" heat shield and air movement. The firesleeve will keep the headers from burning through the rubber hose, but it'll still dry out and crack!

What type of elbow fitting? The pump has the hose barb end.

There is a tube coming off the fuel pump, cannot put an elbow on it.

Make the rubber line a bit longer so it goes away from the header more, and put a heat sleeve over it.
Who said anything about a "fitting" on the pump ? There's several ways you can form an elbow on the run from the pump to the line.

Can you bend the steel line to go under the k frame then back up to the pump

Auto Transport Service
Back