• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Header Install with Column Shift

hurmit4life

Local time
4:15 PM
Reaction score
Hey, All-

I am helping a buddy beef up the 400 big block in his old Mopar. (It's a C-body Dodge Moncao...but the question would apply to the B-bodies as well. Don't shoot me, please!)

We are installing headers on the motor. The car is a column shift with a 727 transmission. We're having the typical frustrating time of getting the right bank header in place plus installing the starter. I think we can get through that eventually. (Though any advice on the proper steps would be appreciated! Raise motor, put the starter somwehere near its home, snake in the header...etc)

The one issue I can not seem to bypass is the shift linkage. We had to remove that linkage in order to get the header in place. The header collector (we are using Hedmann) is right in the way of that linkage. The way I look at it, we need to somehow get that linkage to go ABOVE the header collector. Otherwise, come up with some sort of custom linkage.

Has anyone installed headers on a column-shift car and has found a solution to the above issue while retaining the origianal column shift? I know we could put in a floor shifter, but trying to stay away from that.

Any help would be appreciated!

Jay in MO
66 Coronet 440
66 Charger
Foster home for 1972 Dodge Monaco while we get it roadworthy

Check hedman's site for a pdf of how to modify the linkage. I was looking at some of their "hedders" and was reading the installation notes and saw something about how to modify the linkage to clear their headers.

Could be easier to just make a floor shift. My Coronet was a column shift, and wondered why the previous owner put a floor shift in. I saw that PDF too.

It probably would take less time and a whole lot less cursing to cut a hole in the floor right above the shift shaft on the trans and put in a floor shift. Plus you would have a C Body with a floor shift.

Check with Hedman...Many headers do not work with a column shift. I would not try modifying any linkage, just get the correct headers for the application or you will have to go to a floor shifter. Check out www.engine-swaps.com for some other header options.

I had headers on my 69 Bee with a column shift and it worked perfectly without mods

Auto Transport Service
Back