• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hearing Aids...

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:16 PM
Reaction score
After a few years of getting bugged about it, got my set of hearing aids yesterday. Well, seems most of my friends my age have them giving my wife the extra push to try them. I’ve heard the complaints from them, but they seem to have adjusted to them, at least fewer complaints. Getting in the car, the key dinger was obnoxious, stereo sounds like a ‘60’s transistor radio. Stopped at a couple stores on the way home for project supplies and the noise was distracting the chit out of me. Couldn’t concentrate being distracted by one noise or another including hearing people conversing 20-feet from me. Get home and the door knob was obnoxious as well as my feet walking on the floors. Oh and I sound like I’m speaking on a microphone.

Yeah complained to my wife since she’s responsible for talking me into them. I’m sure there are adjustments to be made, hearing guy wants me to wear them as is until next app for more tuning. Nah, it’s likely I’ll be seeing him next week, not next month as planned, or won’t be wearing them.

Drills down to this, as I told my wife: I’m hearing all sorts of chit I don’t need or want to hear. Don’t need to hear people conversing 20-feet away, my foot-steps, my voice, on and on. I’m already missing what I didn’t used to NOT hear.

The man was telling his friend that he finally bought new hearing aids. He said they were made with the latest in auditory technology, worked really well, but were very expensive. He said they were the best in the the industry. His friend asked, What kind is it? He looked at his watch and answered, Two thirty.

I repaired an intercom for a quarry weighbridge a few years ago. It was so bad that you couldn't hear a thing. After installing the correct matching parts and a correct twisted pair cable to eliminate electrical interference, the internal desk station has to have the volume turned down to just above minmum now.

The sound is so crisp and clear you can hear the entire plant running, which is about a half mile away, as well as any sparrows in the vicinity that might be passing wind. You can hear the blackberry bushes rustle at the rear of the office building.

Sparrows fart.jpg

I repaired an intercom for a quarry weighbridge a few years ago. It was so bad that you couldn't hear a thing. After installing the correct matching parts and a correct twisted pair cable to eliminate electrical interference, the internal desk station has to have the volume turned down to just above minimum now.

The sound is so crisp and clear you can hear the entire plant running, which is about a half mile away, as well as any sparrows in the vicinity that might be passing wind. You can hear the blackberry bushes rustle at the rear of the office building.

View attachment 1682621
:rofl: :rofl::rofl:
Sparrow's fart!!

A man went to his doctor and asked if there was a way to tell if his wife was going deaf. Doc says: ask her what's for dinner from 20 feet away. If she doesn't answer try 15 feet, then ten feet ect..got it? Man says okay. Goes home and says in a loud voice" What's fer dinner love?" Nada. 15 feet...nothing, ten feet, again nothing. So five feet away he says," Hey! What's fer supper?'
The wife spins around and shouts, stew ya daft bugger, i've only said so four times in row now!"...

My grandfather (on my dad's side) and my father's hearing late in life was poor.
Mine is now too (almost 72). I find the closed caption on on the TV about 90% of the time. The volume isn't the problem, it's voices.
If I watch TV with the gf, I get about one sentence in four.
Sound, is not a problem, it seems, it's primarily female voices, and conversation.
I'm resisting hearing aids for all of the reasons Ron H doesn't like his.

Edit: TV volume range is from 0-100, currently at 24, watching Young Frankenstein. Later, probably 17-19. Yet, at the vets' (ALL female doctors and staff,) I ask Say Again about fifteen times, and I'm sure I still miss stuff.)

Last edited:
Old boy goes to the doctor; says "I can't hear diddly-squat out of my left ear!" Doc looks in his ear and says "Well no wonder" and pulls a suppository out of his ear.

Old boy says "Well I bet I know where my hearing aid is now!"

The point of this post is to reveal to those who don't know but may have interest in or be entertained by the TWO greatest pleasures I have, and the reason why this thread prompts me is because one of the two is audio, mostly music, enjoyment related, although movies, CONCERTS, and the "Home Theater Experience" is under the same umbrella.
Well, in the "material" world I can easily name my two absolute favorite, most enjoyable, and most often causing a mystical crossover into "spiritually moving, emotions eliciting, miracle-like" experiences:
**Driving my 70 Roadrunner at Cruisin the Coast and other cherished events I did with it, from the monthly local shows, special events, track trips, and road trips to major car events.
"Unfortunately" is such a weak word for the HEART SHREDDING GRIEF I have felt because of the demonic nightmare that was my wife forcing me to sell it, or be homeless post-forclosure, all because she stopped paying the mortgage and any other related bills that we used our shared income to address, and I could not nor cannot pay them all by myself. Even if she would have launched her vindictive attack on me after I had reaped the major financial rewards of a couple of jobs I do once or twice every year, I would have eventually fallen short (unless new, consistent, high paying clients came into the portfolio) lost the house, a roof over my head, and more, and likely been forced to sell my Roadrunner after all.
So that amazing and wonderful joy bringing, youthfulness infusing, and invigorating dreams planning part of my life is gone, after all of my investments and plans over the last TEN YEARS had been completed in preparation for the ONE thing I hadn't finished, installing the 572 stroker. At least I didn't loose THAT, of which is about 3/4 parts complete, and started with a Bill Mitchell aluminum RB block.
The OTHER activity of the TWO is one I can and do still thoroughly enjoy: CD quality up to High Resolution music STREAMING (I intentionally limit to 24 bit/48kHz) and SACD disc music only. Also multichannel surround sound movies and concerts, from 720p/1080i HD up to 4k.
THAT was the business I was in for 20 years, 1990 to 2010, the last 7 of those 20 years as the owner and doing everything else of my own "Audio/Video and Home Theater" installation and sales.
Since I was a baby, via my dad's dad, my grandfather, I have enjoyed outstanding audio (music) and video productions. He was a professional musician, and he also filmed lots of home movies, and bought lots of classic cartoons too.
He showed those film reels on a big screen and film projector! It was WONDERFUL!
My dad had an above average enjoyment of A/V stuff, so I was able to continue my intake of A/V material, movies and music, living with my parents.
After about 10-11 years doing sales and installation of this equipment, I began to have enough money earned to put together my own Theater Room and movie and music setup, and the appearance of it, and the performance turned out so great my Theater Room and one I did for a client were BOTH PUBLISHED in a magazine. Out of the 4 rooms they featured, one was my personal Theater, one was my client's, and the other two were each by 2 other companies.
Whether it's a lights out music session in 2.1 channels (2 tower speakers (Klipsch Legend KLF-30s) plus my Definitive Technology TRINITY SuperCube 6x14" subwoofer playing at levels of volume and clarity comparable to a live concert from the FRONT ROW, OR a full blown 9.1 surround sound movie on a 109" 16:9 screen...
THAT is the one "material thing" that brings me TREMENDOUS JOY, often to the point of crossing over into a spiritually uplifting experience!

After a few years of getting bugged about it, got my set of hearing aids yesterday. Well, seems most of my friends my age have them giving my wife the extra push to try them. I’ve heard the complaints from them, but they seem to have adjusted to them, at least fewer complaints. Getting in the car, the key dinger was obnoxious, stereo sounds like a ‘60’s transistor radio. Stopped at a couple stores on the way home for project supplies and the noise was distracting the chit out of me. Couldn’t concentrate being distracted by one noise or another including hearing people conversing 20-feet from me. Get home and the door knob was obnoxious as well as my feet walking on the floors. Oh and I sound like I’m speaking on a microphone.

Yeah complained to my wife since she’s responsible for talking me into them. I’m sure there are adjustments to be made, hearing guy wants me to wear them as is until next app for more tuning. Nah, it’s likely I’ll be seeing him next week, not next month as planned, or won’t be wearing them.

Drills down to this, as I told my wife: I’m hearing all sorts of chit I don’t need or want to hear. Don’t need to hear people conversing 20-feet away, my foot-steps, my voice, on and on. I’m already missing what I didn’t used to NOT hear.
:rofl: Sorry but this made me laugh..... I've also thought about getting some but I've heard the same kind of story before. My main problem is tenitus.... not sure if I spelled that right but you get the idea. Dang ears ring all the time!

One day in Hunting camp we are sitting around the inside of the cabin, it's small, and the guys are asking about my hearing aids.
Well I say ''I like em".
"let me tell you how good they are".
So I close my eyes, sit back in the chair and say, "I hear a noise like a soft tick, it sounds like and has the pace of something walking''.
I say "it is coming from over there to my left''.
The good thing about HA's is you can center in on the sound to be right in front of you.
I go on to say with my eyes still closed, " The sound is coming from right there, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick'' and point to the table. The table is maybe 6' from where I am sitting.
Well you had to be there, my cousin says "look there is a fly walking on the table, and the ticking noise is matching it's leg movements''.
Well the next day every body wanted to hunt with me.

I never told them I knew the fly was there before I set the ''trap".
I do like to turn them down or off when I drive the Charger.

Last edited:
:rofl: Sorry but this made me laugh..... I've also thought about getting some but I've heard the same kind of story before. My main problem is tenitus.... not sure if I spelled that right but you get the idea. Dang ears ring all the time!

That's what's gotten worse in my case, tinnitus. Sometimes it gets so loud it makes it hard to understand what someone is saying. Lots of TV shows and movies use background music that drowns out what the actors are saying. That's what it sounds like to me anyway.

I've known many dealing with hearing aids. Spend a lot of money for something that doesn't work or only works for a short time. What to do.

I have had hearing aids for over 12 years now.
I'm sure I needed them before but was not ready. I'm on my 4th set. One thing folks have to remember is hearing aids will never replace or reproduce actual hearing.
They are like a mini stereo , cheap ones help you hear for sure but the tones may be off. Better the hearing aids are the better sound quality you have.
It will take a few weeks to get your brain used to wearing them.
Remember to protect them from water.
Ron it will take a little time but you will be glad you got them.

I have had hearing aids for over 12 years now.
I'm sure I needed them before but was not ready. I'm on my 4th set. One thing folks have to remember is hearing aids will never replace or reproduce actual hearing.
They are like a mini stereo , cheap ones help you hear for sure but the tones may be off. Better the hearing aids are the better sound quality you have.
It will take a few weeks to get your brain used to wearing them.
Remember to protect them from water.
Ron it will take a little time but you will be glad you got them.
Do not let them lay around on a end table. Protect them from dogs and cats, they like to chew on them.

The volume isn't the problem, it's voices.
If I watch TV with the gf, I get about one sentence in four.
Sound, is not a problem, it seems, it's primarily female voices, and conversation
Just in case you or anyone else who reads this doesn't know or haven't been told this:
(Broadly, Generally describing long known undisputed facts)
**JMO/YRMV/Meant for Entertainment Only/consult with your doctor or Shaman before acting upon anything I've posted here..**
Higher frequency sounds are the ones that fade first. Women hear higher frequency sounds than men.
Voices, especially female, are composed of higher frequency sounds than male conversations naturally.
ALL of that sounds exactly like what you are experiencing.

I must be one of the lucky
few. My hearing is great at
Loud noises have always
bothered me. From
screeching Skil saws, to
shooting sports,
Hearing protection was
first and foremost.
Kinda wish I was half deaf
while sleeping, though.
Every little sound hear
wakes me up while trying