• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help me pick a distributor!

I am looking at getting the Progression unit and wanting to know if the code you get is tied to you or the distributor? Can the code be transferred to a new owner, if you sell the car or motor?

Funknut - Any updates on how its working.

The code is tied to the distributor and can be transferred when sold.

I haven't put a bunch of miles on recently, but it fires up every time, there's less unburnt fuel smell, and watching the timing table while it's running is pretty cool. :)

it fires up every time, there's less unburnt fuel smell
After the huge improvement I had with eliminating the 440 6bbl smelling like a poorly run refinery once I installed the FBO ignition with its total timing limiter, 20 degrees of at idle advance, adjustable vacuum can, and performance curve, I renewed my intense interest in ignition systems and their effects of across-the-board performance.
The Progression Ignition system is literally THE answer to every desire or concern that I had for any carbureated engine. EFI control units are the only comparable systems.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. What brand spark plug wires did you use on the Progression unit.

I'm not sure it matters too much, the cap is pretty standard, and identical to the MSD Pro Billet distributor that was in there previously, but here's my story:

I used ACCEL ceramic 9000 series for a while but had several of them fail. Now I use Taylor brand wires with DEI boots:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CQ000W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Design-Engineering-010542-Titanium-Protector/dp/B006MVPIAI/

The boots are spendy but worth it. I've tried the knock-offs and they weren't up to the task.

I got my Progression unit in and started. I must say that is has changed the way my car idles and reacts to throttle blips. I have not driven it yet as I have some other things that need sorted. One thing I ran across in trying to up the idle timing is it won't go farther than 31*. When I set it to 35* it is in the program but will max out at 31* and the timing light agrees its at 31*. I feel my 10* BTDC starting point was incorrect and I'm maxing out the physical rotation of the unit. Could I just move the distributor a little to get more advance? The unit maxes out at 50*. Thoughts?

If you are saying that the app is showing 35* but the timing light shows 31*, the first thing I would do is set the idle timing in the app to several different values (25*, 28*, 31*, 35*) and for each one see what the timing light says. If you're off by 4* each time then yes it sounds like your base timing might be off.

I also had a hard time getting my base timing correct. Mine did not want to idle smoothly at 10*.

If you are saying that the app is showing 35* but the timing light shows 31*, the first thing I would do is set the idle timing in the app to several different values (25*, 28*, 31*, 35*) and for each one see what the timing light says. If you're off by 4* each time then yes it sounds like your base timing might be off.

I also had a hard time getting my base timing correct. Mine did not want to idle smoothly at 10*.
I could not get the car to idle at 10*, had to crank it up to 1600rpm. I started at 20* and worked up to 35* at idle. Timing light was the same as app's reading until I went to 32* the app went to 31* and the timing light was 31*. I went to 34* and then 35* in the app and timing in app was 31* and the timing light was reading 31*. The app is stopping at 31* no matter what I put in the app. I may have to go back and start over.

I could not get the car to idle at 10*, had to crank it up to 1600rpm. I started at 20* and worked up to 35* at idle. Timing light was the same as app's reading until I went to 32* the app went to 31* and the timing light was 31*. I went to 34* and then 35* in the app and timing in app was 31* and the timing light was reading 31*. The app is stopping at 31* no matter what I put in the app. I may have to go back and start over.

I would give Progression a call or email and see if they can help you out. This definitely sounds different to what I saw.

Next time I have my car out I'll throw a timing light on it and see what I see.

I am sorry but after playing with Hemis is particular I don't buy this theory of such advance at idle. Keep in mid we produce less then 20 horse power at idle and asking an engine to fight this ignition pressure at such low speed makes no sense. Ill pass.

With my FBO ignition, I was able to increase my idle advance to around 20° mech+vacuum.
That completely transformed my 440 6bbl from a problem to a great running engine.
The Progression is better than that or anything else that a carbureated engine can use.
It sounds like the distributor is not physically installed where it should be.

To put an ending to this install and to help anyone else going forward, my issue was two fold. I went back through the set up and I was a couple degrees off, both in my crank rotation being set at 10* and not quite lined up on the black 10* marks on the distributor. Fixed all that and timing is back to normal, my timing was retarded on the crank damper even when showing advanced in the app. The distributor not going farther than 31* was my screw up. I was changing the timing in my target idle RPM setting (900rpm), not realizing that the car was idling at 1200RPM, which was 31* on the app. The second time around today I caught the mistake, lowered the idle to 900 and the timing is changing. Now I get to fine tune the carb.

I am in the Progression camp, as my car has never idled this good and my vacuum went from 6 to 10 at idle. Can't wait to take it out to see how it drives, just got to work on the brakes a bit.

Thanks to all who helped me.

To put an ending to this install and to help anyone else going forward, my issue was two fold. I went back through the set up and I was a couple degrees off, both in my crank rotation being set at 10* and not quite lined up on the black 10* marks on the distributor. Fixed all that and timing is back to normal, my timing was retarded on the crank damper even when showing advanced in the app. The distributor not going farther than 31* was my screw up. I was changing the timing in my target idle RPM setting (900rpm), not realizing that the car was idling at 1200RPM, which was 31* on the app. The second time around today I caught the mistake, lowered the idle to 900 and the timing is changing. Now I get to fine tune the carb.

I am in the Progression camp, as my car has never idled this good and my vacuum went from 6 to 10 at idle. Can't wait to take it out to see how it drives, just got to work on the brakes a bit.

Thanks to all who helped me.
Glad you got it sorted! I have yet to find one downside apart from the cost.

My car idles smoother and the unburnt fuel smell is long gone.

I have yet to find one downside apart from the cost.
My car idles smoother and the unburnt fuel smell is long gone.
The absolute best, most comprehensive and tuneable ignition system for carbureated engines. Makes the most of what you already have, whether stock or full blown race.

Auto Transport Service
Back