• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help! Picking up on the back end of someone else's project. SE to Hardtop

MeMikieJr

Local time
4:29 PM
Reaction score
Ok I need help. What am I missing here?
rubber? wrong window?
Confused on the gap between window and top of quarter.
See Pictures.

d1.png

d2.png

d5.png

Last edited:
You are missing the opera window louvre panel and everything that goes with it (mount, seals etc.) I've always been told the abreviated drip rail is the indicator. I'm sure a 74 owner will chime in.

Confused on the gap between Opera window and top of quarter.

Are you converting the car from SE trim to standard trim? Amongst a lot of other work and parts needed, you will need to buy the outer window seal (which is available) to fill the space in question. It is kind of "L" shaped and also seals the glass against the C-pillar.

The weatherstrip assembly that goes on the A pillar and roof (and possibly the C pillar in the same part) is needed.
That's all one piece on non- SE opera window cars.

...and the quarter window to quarter panel "wiper" weatherstrip assembly.

...plus the "clip on" weatherstrip for the quarter window that seals to the door window.

So I just purchased this 1973 Charger, what I believe is owner was planning to delete the vinyl top and make hard top.
This is what it looks like as I got it.
Trying to decide best, way to get it in the dry. Im not planning to keep the SE, planning to make a street and strip car but this has got me thrown for a loop.

What is best or easiest direction to go to keep the hard top look.

Are you converting the car from SE trim to standard trim? Amongst a lot of other work and parts needed, you will need to buy the outer window seal (which is available) to fill the space in question. It is kind of "L" shaped and also seals the glass against the C-pillar.
I got car as it is, I think that's the direction he was going. I am not going back with the louvre.

Any place you know that makes a remakes the parts or is it a take off an old car?

I bought mine from Year One, but also probably Classic Industries.

You will also need to weld in an extension of the roof drip rail (parts car or fabricate). Get an upper rubber seal, and the seal and chrome that go between the door glass and your quarter window. The last one, I don't know if it is available or not in reproduction form. You'll have to look.

Auto Transport Service
Back