• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi Rocker Hold Down Question

rt1976

Local time
1:29 AM
Reaction score
Need to remove hemi rocker stands an engine currently being rebuilt. Is it ok to just remove the stands and retorque these studs or should all head studs be loosened and retorqued?

Well, if your rebuilding the engine, isn't it going to all be apart? I do not understand what you are asking.

Sorry, engine is assmbled. Has Barton rockers and I need to clearance the hole on the bedplate for the pushrods. So I need to take the bedplate off. just wondering if there is risk to unloading the center row of studs.

Engine been started? Or, do you have antifreeze in the block? If so drain it, and you should be alright removing the head bolts that hold the rack down.

Engine been started? Or, do you have antifreeze in the block? If so drain it, and you should be alright removing the head bolts that hold the rack down.
no to both, thanks. I figured as much, this is my first hemi and being catious

Sorry, engine is assmbled. Has Barton rockers and I need to clearance the hole on the bedplate for the pushrods. So I need to take the bedplate off. just wondering if there is risk to unloading the center row of studs.
No need to loosen them all. Just take it off and put it back on. I had to do that last week on some other rockers. You're not going to cause a problem.

I too am on my first Hemi. Had 2 bad stock exh rocker arms on mine and was going to pull the rack. Decided to pull the engine, and tore it down, glad that I did. New purchase last year.
Good luck with yours!

Auto Transport Service
Back