• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

High Torque Mini Starter for stroker

65 3 times

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:25 PM
Reaction score
Gentlemen: Building a 543 RB stroker. Will be 13-1. Started looking at starters and was amazed to see $155.00 to $500.00. Are there brands and types to avoid? What are you using with success?
Thanks for considering.. Dave

Factory mopar mini starters in all my builds. New ones. Never had an issue with either my 850 or 950hp/13.5-1 hemi's. I've even used 16 volt systems on them, with no ill effects.

i'm with him ^^^^.Even the parts store 2000 Dakota R/T replacement starter never failed. Used them on everything from a slant six(13 to 1) to a 472 Hemi with out fail.

I've never had a problem with any from a junker in the last 15 years, I have a nice clean one I'll let go for $50 + the ride there.

Put a Bosch on my big block that I bought at Car Quest locally. That was three years ago and it kicks the engine over very well. One day I put the headlights on in the garage to see how much amperage it would pull when starting in this senario. They must be fairly efficient because there was barely any dimming. Bastard set me back $239 (rebuilt) with a trade but with headers I needed something that would go in and out easily. Whatever you buy, get a reputable unit.

Whenever I went to a wrecking yard, I'd look at all the V8 powered trucks and would pick the best looking ones and even those worked like a new one and usually for around 25 bucks.

Factory mopar mini starters in all my builds. New ones. Never had an issue with either my 850 or 950hp/13.5-1 hemi's. I've even used 16 volt systems on them, with no ill effects.

Where and for how much are you getting these?

I've had TWO NAPA rebuilds fail in my mild 360 then 318 Dart. First one the drive failed. The second was coughing when I tore the car down for painting.

I bought my last mini from 440 Source for my stroker for $119 - same quality as the big names. They make the mini specifically for 440 Source.

The only thing to replace is the plastic sprage on the Imported versions. A old fashioned starter rebuild shop can do it for 25.00 max. Buying the over priced started only gives you a billet head for starter gear anti torque. For street use and mild compression a waste of money!

The only thing to replace is the plastic sprage on the Imported versions. A old fashioned starter rebuild shop can do it for 25.00 max. Buying the over priced started only gives you a billet head for starter gear anti torque. For street use and mild compression a waste of money!

In a previous life, you could BUY starter drives from parts stores. I may investigate that on mine. They are plastic inside? That explains their short life

I use the PowerMaster XS Torque (#9523) mini starter.

4.4:1 Gear reduction
•No heat soak problems
•Recommended for 18:1 Compression
•Machined aluminum adapter block
•Clears MOST oil pans and headers
•Very high efficiency rating
•Weighs 8.5 lbs

Whenever I went to a wrecking yard, I'd look at all the V8 powered trucks and would pick the best looking ones and even those worked like a new one and usually for around 25 bucks.

That's what I'm talkin about! Why spend shitloads on new when a used will get you just as far if not further!

I use the PowerMaster XS Torque (#9523) mini starter.

4.4:1 Gear reduction
•No heat soak problems
•Recommended for 18:1 Compression
•Machined aluminum adapter block
•Clears MOST oil pans and headers
•Very high efficiency rating
•Weighs 8.5 lbs

Let's see, sounds like it does the same damn thing as my junker and I assume you bought yours new and for how much??

Bought it for whatever the sales price is at Jegs.

Let's see, sounds like it does the same damn thing as my junker and I assume you bought yours new and for how much??

Seems like any post about starters has the same elements. High price starters, low priced starters and used starters but they all seem to work to the satisfaction of the poster. I'm beginning to think it doesn't really matter.
I've had both high and low priced starters in different race cars and they all worked just fine. I have a Powermaster XS starter ($$$), it works great and their customer service is the best I've ever experienced. I have also purchased 3 starters from DB Electric (Ebay $63, shipped). They are all over 8 years old and are still working in various cars. I am presently running a cheap starter on 16V. So far so good, but I do carry a spare.

I got mini starters in my cars from a 94 Dakota with the V6.....which is basically the same starter that all these high priced parts houses are selling at over-inflated prices....plus mine has a lifetime warranty .....

I guess I don't see why people are paying over $200 for the same starter you can purchase at your local corner auto parts store....just because it's shiny, that does not make it worth all the extra $$ for it

Bought it for whatever the sales price is at Jegs.

At what guarantee if it takes a dump, and for how long?

Seems like any post about starters has the same elements. High price starters, low priced starters and used starters but they all seem to work to the satisfaction of the poster. I'm beginning to think it doesn't really matter.
I've had both high and low priced starters in different race cars and they all worked just fine. I have a Powermaster XS starter ($$$), it works great and their customer service is the best I've ever experienced. I have also purchased 3 starters from DB Electric (Ebay $63, shipped). They are all over 8 years old and are still working in various cars. I am presently running a cheap starter on 16V. So far so good, but I do carry a spare.

I got mini starters in my cars from a 94 Dakota with the V6.....which is basically the same starter that all these high priced parts houses are selling at over-inflated prices....plus mine has a lifetime warranty .....

I guess I don't see why people are paying over $200 for the same starter you can purchase at your local corner auto parts store....just because it's shiny, that does not make it worth all the extra $$ for it

My points exactly, glad someone else in the world understands that money doesn't grow on trees.

I bought the summit one same as all the others, think it was $100 something. It's on my 440 .060 over bore and 12:1 comp

Had a bad mishap with a mini hi-torque mopar starter .had a kickback on my blown 440 and it snapped the mount off the 727 and broke the nose of the starter it was not the starters fault. I had it rebuilt from a local alt/starter repair place and its on my 493 stroker right know. mopar mini hi- torque the way to go.

Stated using the v6 mini starter around 1990. Never had an issue. The one on my Belvedere I have had since 2002. Now I do see the place for the more expensive one, especially those that you can clock.
The mini is only 1/8" from 1 tube on my TTI's in my Belvedere. Had to wrap the tubes. When this started was in my Cuda this was not an issue w/the old TTI's so maybe they slightly changed some things.

Where and for how much are you getting these?

I've had TWO NAPA rebuilds fail in my mild 360 then 318 Dart. First one the drive failed. The second was coughing when I tore the car down for painting.

Sorry for the delay. I find these in swap-meets, craigslist, and from an occasional ebay ad. They've never been more than $150.00 for a new/mopar starter.

Auto Transport Service
Back