• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How's it going in Florida.. Covid and all?

747mopar

Local time
10:04 AM
Reaction score
We try to do a nice family vacation every year, this year we're headed to Florida mostly because Florida seams to have it **** together. So how is it down there, what should we expect?

Where are yall planning to go? We are thinking about Destin again. We really enjoyed it a couple of years ago!

In Lakeland the restaurants are open for indoor dining.

Well I live down here. I don't know where you got that information. But it's a shitshow. All the SnowBirds are piled in the Restaurant's and bars like there's no tomorrow. No masks , No Worries. News reports says highest covid # ever. Come on down and Party On !

No mandatory statewide mask mandate but check with the local government where you're planning to visit. Also it's not quite as crowded this winter because of travel restrictions regarding Canadians and other foreign travelers.

Not that many Canadians, but New Yorkers took up the slack.

Where are yall planning to go? We are thinking about Destin again. We really enjoyed it a couple of years ago!
Last year we went to Miramar beach which is right beside Destin, this year we're going to Pensacola. My boy and I had a blast touring fort Pickens, fort Barrancas, checking out the aviation museum and watching the blue angels last year so we decided to pick a destination closer to that area. Being in this area also puts us within driving distance of Ft Morgan Alabama too so I'm sure we'll check it out well. I can only take so much beach before I'm bored to death!

Yeah, I'm not really buying into the notion that there are less snowbirds than usual and think that Rat Rod Al is largely on point. We'd probably be doing a lot better if the tourists and snowbirds weren't running around like this is some kind of miraculous "Covid-Free Party Zone"... Tampa and the surrounding area is a zoo right now with the SB in town.

Well I live down here. I don't know where you got that information. But it's a shitshow. All the SnowBirds are piled in the Restaurant's and bars like there's no tomorrow. No masks , No Worries. News reports says highest covid # ever. Come on down and Party On !
Lol I'm glad to hear all is open but rest assured we're not coming to party or pack in. We usually rent a place on the beach and do our own thing away from the crowds.

Where I'm at everything is open and at full capacity. Most people wear masks but not all.
Definitely crowded.

Yeah, I'm not really buying into the notion that there are less snowbirds than usual and think that Rat Rod Al is largely on point. We'd probably be doing a lot better if the tourists and snowbirds weren't running around like this is some kind of miraculous "Covid-Free Party Zone"... Tampa and the surrounding area is a zoo right now with the SB in town.
Our vacations are typically planned to avoid people not encounter them.
Where I'm at everything is open and at full capacity. Most people wear masks but not all.
Definitely crowded.
Good to know:thumbsup:

Snow Birds are good for the economy. Even though a pia. If you go somewhere and not enough masks are worn to suit you THEN TURN AROUND AND LEAVE. No one forcing you to enter. Choices. News reports are full of **** too.

20210201_091445.jpg

Sounds like a great place to be! sick of the People's Republic of Maryland and our RINO governor...

Snow Birds are good for the economy. Even though a pia. If you go somewhere and not enough masks are worn to suit you THEN TURN AROUND AND LEAVE. No one forcing you to enter. Choices. News reports are full of **** too.
Exactly!!

We camp a lot and last year we went to the panhandle. We took a day trip out to Mexico Beach. On our way back, we decided to stop at a nice little place in Apalachicola that we had ate a year before to have lunch. Thought we would just get takeout and eat in the car along the water. Shrimp dinner (lunch) had been about $30 last time . I handed wife a fifty. We usually tip even with takeout and we figured we would tip a little more to help. Wife came back to car and handed me the receipt. Meal came to 49.98,including a 17 percent "covid tax". My wife just told the waitress to keep the change.

Can't make out the screen?

I guess I'm not seeing a big difference between states with strict mandates vs ones that are more relaxed. We're pretty relaxed in Ohio and all is fine, all I'll say is I'd rather be somewhere where I'm still free to work and eat. Like I said we won't vacation somewhere where everything is shut down, wouldn't make any sense. Get busy living or get busy dying because we can't control everything.

Last year we went to Miramar beach which is right beside Destin, this year we're going to Pensacola. My boy and I had a blast touring fort Pickens, fort Barrancas, checking out the aviation museum and watching the blue angels last year so we decided to pick a destination closer to that area. Being in this area also puts us within driving distance of Ft Morgan Alabama too so I'm sure we'll check it out well. I can only take so much beach before I'm bored to death!
That's actually where we stayed, right across the street from the outlet mall. Traffic was a little easier to manage than the Eastside of of Destin.
There is a beach side community that rents beach houses,, it was great except dragging all the stuff to the beach, there was a boardwalk that went over the dunes and it was steps not a ramp so you had to carry everything instead of rolling it.

Auto Transport Service
Back