• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I hate, hate having glasses!

SteveSS

Local time
6:38 AM
Reaction score
I'm almost 68 and I just need glasses for distance for about 5 years. I lose them constantly and break them, I have a few with just one lens. Sucks because before this I had better than 20/20.

Just bitching.

I wore contacts for over 25 years, but after my near visions started deteriorating in my mid 40s, they didn't work so well anymore.
My eye doctor tried bifocal contacts but they didn't work for me. A far vision contact in one eye and near vision in the other didn't do the trick for me either. So I've been 100% glasses since about age 50.
Your result may vary, my aunt was wearing contacts well into her 70s.

I'm almost 68 and I just need glasses for distance for about 5 years. I lose them constantly and break them, I have a few with just one lens. Sucks because before this I had better than 20/20.

Just bitching.

20/20 my whole life but I had to start wearing readers around 55. I started with 1.25 and am up to 1.50 now. I also hate wearing them, but they are necessary. This is how I deal with it:

1) I bought about 20 cheap pairs at Walmart and have them laying everywhere, plus 1 set in each car. This way I don't have to carry them around - there is always a set near

2) For the shop, working, or when I am out and about, I bought "Clic" brand readers that hang around your neck and have a magnetic clasp in the front. They are well made and durable. I have yet to break a pair in five years because you don't set them down or drop them. In fact, I'm about to buy another set only because they have so many scratches on them from shop work. I highly recommend them. They take some of the pain of wearing glasses.

I've been wearing contacts for over 25 years now with no issues. I have regular glasses as a backup. I tried the bi-focal contacts for a couple years. They are expensive! I get my contacts at either Walmart or Costco (both are the cheapest). I ditched the bi-focal contacts for regular contacts but with one contact for distance and one for close up. They work great and allot cheaper.

I’ve gone the opposite having worn glasses since first grade. In my mid-fifties, I developed cataracts, so I had the surgery & they fixed my vision and no glasses now.

Just bitching.
i have worn them for distance, like you , but a lot longer . i have glasses since high school , about 50 years now . i am very weary with it . one of my problems is i take them of to read or bench work in shop . broke a few pair doing that . one trick i have learned is to designate a safe place for them and religiously put them there before starting a project . i cut the bottoms off two gatorade bottles after rinsing them . screw just the cap on a convenient place in shop . mine are above the light switches, usually the first and last place in shop . safety glasses with bifocals in one , prescription glasses in the other . there safe and available!

Been wearing glasses since grade school. They saved my eyes from multiple small projectiles over the years.
I understand they are difficult to get used to.
I suggest titanium frames. They weigh almost nothing.

I’ve gone the opposite having worn glasses since first grade. In my mid-fifties, I developed cataracts, so I had the surgery & they fixed my vision and no glasses now.
download.jpeg

READ MY LIPS... NO NEW GLASSES!

I started off with glasses, then contacts for awhile, followed up by Lasik. Love the Lasik. But...hopefully the Lasik tech doesn't make you worse. The first guy I checked out had many, many issues with screwing up peoples eyes. I was lucky.

I wore glasses from age four... Till Age 33 when I had Lasik.... Incredible... By age 55 not nearly as good... Went back to the same Dr, got what he called a "touch up" much better but not nearly as good as when I was 33... Now eleven years later, I have an appointment in two weeks to get an idea of what's going on... I'm thinking I'm developing cataracts..

I had 20/15 vision when I was younger. I had to start wearing glasses (later went to contacts) for distance when I was around 30. My close up (reading) vision is still perfect without glasses or contacts, but for distance, I'm in trouble without!

Would it be legal to install a "prescription glass windshield"​

asking for a friend ......
1727485621393.png

I just recently received my now second pair of glasses for reading. My first pair started delaminating in the center corners of course just weeks after the 1 year warranty. I am still not used to them. The first pair or even now my new pair. Always find myself looking up, down, up down. The old pair now became my garage glasses.

I have been wearing glasses for untold years.
Can't remember any longer, in my old age, when wearing them started.
Haven't had an eye exam, until a few weeks ago.
It's been years and years.
My health care is thru the VA, so i made an appointment with the eye clinic at the Mather VA Hospital to get one done.
Ya, my prescription has changed.
Waiting on the new pair of glasses to now show up, in my mailbox.

EDIT:
My new pair of glasses showed yesterday, in my mailbox.
Getting used to the bi focal portion on the lens, but no big deal at all.
I do notice when watching tv, the colors are more clear and crisp, and really stand out.
Glad to have gotten this new perscription, with me.

Last edited:
Had to get glasses when I was in tech-school for distance; late 70’s. Good Lord, the styles then! Huge aviators and early transition lenses that never were colorless. Every photo from back then I look like a lounge singer or junior hit-man for the mob…the clothes didn’t help either. Sheesh…

Some years later found that I only needed to wear glasses for driving, at least the most noticeable so don’t wear them otherwise. Never had issues with up close vision. Last year though, things changed and pretty quickly. My night vision sucked as is when driving from sunny into shaded areas. One time I had to pull over driving home after dark and tell my wife to drive. No more driving after dark. Had cataracts and thankfully surgery was a fantastic improvement, one downside, when looking in a mirror got a better look at how damn old I am.

I had 20/10 vision when I went into the USAF in 1979. 5 years later, my vision dropped to 20/20 due to computer screens and I thought I was nearly blind. I started wearing glasses then at night and slowly went down from there. Now at 67, my vision is improving somewhat, but I am also getting cataracts. Life gets in my way, and I hate glasses!
IMG_4809.jpeg

This is me next to Moses’ staff in Instanbul Turkey.

Auto Transport Service
Back