• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have a ? And need a value on a car? Suggestions from you folks?

RUMBLON

Local time
1:22 AM
Reaction score
Ok, please dont take this as a for sale as because its not. But I am having an issue with the car I just bought. I originally wanted a 63 Polara 2 door or post to build a street thumper out of and use a built and done 625-650 HP 500 eddy headed stroker I have that is done and 8k in motor.

I jumped at the opportunity to buy a 63 Polara 500 vert, thinking that I would do what I wanted to it and use my big motor. After doing some research, mostly on here, I realized that the car I bought should be done back to its original color, 383 engine ect. Now I have no issue with that and and actually looking forward to doing it. But alas, I am doing some sole searching and calculating and I dont see myself being able to do this car, ( two other cars I have, including a 72 340 cuda that was my highschool car, that I have to get done for my wife) the vert and find a nice 2 door or post to use this motor in and quench my thirst for a beefy street 63.

I also have a 70 Belvie and 67 Dart that is almost done that I am trying to sell to start a small fund for restoration.

That said, I love the vert but doing it original wont give me the satisfaction of having a 600 plus HP car. So its going to be an EXTRA BUILD. Now I tend to do most of my own body and paint, so thats not the real expensive part, but having two 63s will simply be expensive.

So I am trying to decide what to do. The motor I have at over 600 HP should actually be pretty streetable. So I am trying to decide if I should just sell the vert and try and find a 63 2 door or post.

Or, maybe I should just let the 63 vert sit for a while and look for my other project and just see what happens.

The difference is that if I find a 63 Polara or fury HT or post, that I have no intention of doing it back to original anything and its MUCH cheaper with me doing it the way I want. After market gauges, doing the dash custom like I want, maybe no trim at all, on and on., than having small parts restored, and worrying about making it right. I would love having both done side by side but its going to be a while.

My other factor is that I have 2, maybe three years to get things done here while I have a huge shop, before I make a move to 175 acres I own in Idaho. Once there, I will be building a ranch and will have no time for building cars for a few years. So I am trying to get things done over the next two or three summers.

So that said, I am trying to get an actual value on the 63 if I sold it or did a partial trade using it, ect?

If I can sell this Belvie and my Dart both, I MAY just let this one sit for a while while I find my other car. But as you guys know, we get anxious and I am doing just that. I WANT TO USE THIS BIG MOTOR NOW!!!!!!

So, just thought I would see what you guys thought as I respect most of the guys on here and they knowledge.

Like most things, its all about balance and this week its going into spring and time for a week or two of gardening with my wife (go ahead and laugh, I enjoy it and it keeps the piece) and allows me to do all mopars later. So I have a couple of weeks of soul searching to do before I go too crazy and hope to sell some stuff in the mean time.

Thanks for any suggestions on value on the car or maybe just some ideas. I dont think I will find another untouched 63 vert, so MAYBE I should learn to slow down a bit.

RUMBLON

:worthless_thread:

Let's see some pics of both the car and the engine. You have to know we love car ****. :icon_axe:

Current market value of the 63 Polara 500 'vert in#5 condition is $1750 plus 15% for it being a 4 BBL. You've got a good solid car that deserves a proper restoration. In #1 it's $19,750 and #2 is $14,000.

I'd agree that a vert is not the best way to go if you're talking 600 HP. Maybe you can find a trade and get a post car to have the project you want. Plus it sounds like you've got your hands full of projects right now so maybe passing it on to someone that is really looking for a convertible project is the way to go. IMO

Why are you concerned about everyone ELSE'S opinion? Do what YOU want.

Regarding what others think about it's rarity has little to do with it. You can't possibly come out ahead financially restoring a car and selling for a profit in todays economy, and it will not be the car that you wanted in the first place so you likely won't be satisfied with it when done.

Life is too short, do what you wanted in the first place and have fun with it.

Why are you concerned about everyone ELSE'S opinion? Do what YOU want.​
I Don't think Dave is looking for opinions... or cares what anyone else thinks.... He's just looking for guidence from his peer's.

Have you never been in a position where your torn between your heart and what you want to do..... and reality and what you CAN do....? I have... and I sought out and welcomed the advice of others who understand what I was up against. I don't think he is going to do something because someone here tell's him to. With our help he can make a decision and be comfortible with it.

As far a a $1750.00 value in #5 condition.....? Well.... perhaps 25 years ago...!!! A current value for that car is considerably higher... IMHO. My sources show current #1 condition at $30,000.00, and I think that would be conservative, even in todays market.

Not that it matters much, but the car was just on listed on Moparts for $3,000 obo with a car trailer a few weeks ago... It sat on the site for a week at that price before Rumblon bought it. $30k would be top buck in this market for that car done. Real deal '63 maxies are struggling to break $60k these days in restored condition.

Thanks for the replies but I have decided to just do this one car unless I find a second cheap and do it using my big motor and probably not in YY colors either.

RUMBLON

Im thinking a 63 vert is rare but one with a nasty big block is is even more, car is only worth what ones willing to pay.

The motor is a "bolt in". You could always do what you can to put the car back close to original, save for the very costly rechroming of trim etc, and proceed with the build, but still have the option of yanking the motor to put in something else if it turns up, and still not butchering that extremely original 63 too bad. Just a thought.

Auto Transport Service
Back