• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I heart '70 Coronets.

my favorite color for me was the B5

Now I'm sure Mecum are making these production numbers up. They say Dodge sold 1072 four speed six pack Super Bees in 1970.
Lulz.
I think they added 599 (4sp) + 473 (auto) for WM23V0_ = 1072. It should say 708 4sp Super Bees or just worded different. Wouldn't be the first mistake a listing made, I sure make plenty too.

Did it sell? What was the hammer price?

Last edited:
Anyone ever see a sunroof 70 Coronet?

And could you get the Rally Dash in any Coronet or just the Bees&R/Ts?
A62 Rallye cluster with tach/clock $90.30 in R/T, standard for Super Bee (comes without tach/clock), N/A other models.
N85 Tach/clock for Super Bee $68.45

Last edited:
never seen one and dont believe it was a option , but have seen many drop tops
002.jpg

yup , my favorite is a 1970 Road Runner or GTX ,but I have come to really liking a 1970 Super Bee :thumbsup:
I too think the 70 Plymouths had the best looking front ends of all B-Bodies hands down.
I still love the Coronets front end for 70 and think that the 70 Coronets have the best looking rear/quarters plus the best looking stripe options of all B-Bodies.

I think 1971 was the year sun roofs became an option could be wrong though :rolleyes:

So why is the between portion of some front bumpers chrome and some painted?
I've heard several theories on the grille center, including "all were chrome, and on Super Bee, they got a sheet metal cover painted in body color." That seems a little extreme to me, though. Mine was body color, and I don't remember it being a cover.
I hijacked some current ebag photos to illustrate here.

The heavy-gauge chrome center piece is always there. It is mounted with 4 bolts (through slotted holes) two on each side to the "wing" bumpers and 2 bolts (through square holes) on the bottom to the bumper support. Thus 70 Coronets really had a 3-piece front bumper.

Historic photos have the R/T's, Super Bee's, 500's and many two-door 440's receiving the body-color painted sheetmetal "applique" OVER the center chrome piece. It has slots to line up with the side bolts of the chrome piece, and is attached to the chrome piece at the bottom with 2 rivets (through smaller round holes). The round holes are actually in a 2+1 configuration (see bottom of chrome piece) but nothing attaches to the larger center round hole (maybe exposed it was used on police/taxi?). It is obviously a visual detail item, which is why it occurs on higher trim models and not the base/police/taxi/4 doors.

So far in research this applique has no option code, no correlation with A48 bumper guards ("bumperettes"), and no correlation with build date or plant location. The questions on Super Bees comes mostly from heresay like "I bought in original condition in 1974" but no one knows for sure. The factory line also had many inconsistencies. That's why my conclusion is if your R/T or Super Bee has an applique, it is definitely NOT wrong. If you are restoring one, my opinion is put one on.

center-chrome1.jpg center-chrome2.jpg center-applq1.jpg center-applq2.jpg

Last edited:
I had heard that it was to brake up the chrome to make it look like two separate pieces and that was why same body color
257991-1000-0.jpg
Grant-Reynolds-1970-Dodge-Super-Bee-front-end.jpg
102080_Front_3-4_Web.jpg
d580fd253e49d6c68a47d6bfa616387a--bees-dodge-coronet.jpg

I had heard that it was to brake up the chrome to make it look like two separate pieces and that was why same body color
Man you must have your own server data center or something with so many pics!
That EB5 pic has that "Dodge" emblem sneaking in on the LH grill that I alluded to in post #58.

Man you must have your own server data center or something with so many pics!
That EB5 pic has that "Dodge" emblem sneaking in on the LH grill that I alluded to in post #58.
So what's the story on the dodge emblem? My 70 has it. I like it.
The chrome center looks better with some colors, worse with some.

The blues and darker colors look better without the chrome.
The yellows and lighter clots look better with the chrome IMO

Coming from someone who loves the 62' Polara, yeah, I love the 1970 B Body.

4sp w/ bench seat. I like that.
$10.5 is still too high though. Front left bumper and grill damaged.
Didn't show the floor pan or the frame rails either

Auto Transport Service
Back