• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I might take this out for a spin tomorrow, what do you all think?

I too, just came upon this thread and am glad I did. I am very familiar with the 73/74 RR's and how they can be brought back to life. Some restored to near perfection and others to be a fun driver, and still others to be a fun project. It is the FUN part that, at times, is hard to keep going. You truly seem to be having fun with this. Keep up that attitude and your work will show it. By the way, your art work is just plain awesome, and I look forward to seeing it on the car!!! Keep it real, but keep it fun.
Thank you! And thank you, especially for complimenting the art! I'm one of those people who can draw something cool or mimic another art style, but then I look back on it after a while and notice what I could have done better. An artist that's never satisfied!

I got a new phone! It's no drawing tablet, but it'll work for finishing the art I plan on putting on the car! I hope I'll have the art drawn and planned out by the time the Frankenrunner is titled and registered!

giphy.gif

Guess what moved under its own power!!

I'm so stoked; it's driving for real this time!! Of course, it snowed here recently, so Manfred pulled it from under the carport and immediately got it stuck. :thumbsup:

He got it unstuck, though... so now, here it sits next to my other car until it's road-ready!

IMG_20240215_154349047_HDR (1).jpg

IMG_20240215_154354314_HDR (1).jpg

Last edited:
Ari has been super busy with work but we did do the roof splice to get a windshield in. A loader had brutally lifted the car sometime in the past at the yard. It distorted the roof so badly there was no way to really fix it w/o a splice. Luckily a parts car came our way so problem solved. Jason and Brian did the heavy lifting and welding on this one. Had a broken windshield on hand to test the repair and we are spot on! Next phase is some body work and putting the inside together.

S4025732.JPG

S4025735.JPG

S4025734.JPG

S4025731.JPG

You guys definitely win the Frankenstein award for a 74 Satty. It's been fun watching the progress.

Thanks, it just did not seem right to give up on a 64K rust free car that they will never build again. Fighting rust is very time consuming, so even though this was a massive undertaking, its actually easier than massaging in rusted areas. We will do body work next and prep the roof for vinyl. The whole car will get rattle can primer for now then the art work will get underway. We will have some pro's do the lay-out and work and then maybe a road trip to Houston for Artocade?? Still have to do the waterpump before any real driving. I did splurge on a Chinese 2 BBL, 30 years of sitting froze up parts of the Carter. I've ordered like 5 of these "foreign jobs" 3 worked OK 2 were a disaster. WE will see!

Ari has been super busy with work but we did do the roof splice to get a windshield in. A loader had brutally lifted the car sometime in the past at the yard. It distorted the roof so badly there was no way to really fix it w/o a splice. Luckily a parts car came our way so problem solved. Jason and Brian did the heavy lifting and welding on this one. Had a broken windshield on hand to test the repair and we are spot on! Next phase is some body work and putting the inside together.

View attachment 1684810

View attachment 1684812

View attachment 1684813

View attachment 1684814
Great work!

Come do my 72 400-4 barrel Charger roof!

We had to buy a whole donor car to find a usable roof section. There are no more in any junkyards near us. If the car was a vinyl roof car the "C" pillar is a lead seamed joint with plenty of "play" in fitment ( I've always imagined some Mopar line worker with a bazooka gun full of seam sealer after spot welding!). Our car was and will be again a vinyl Sebring version so that made this much easier. If the weather cools of this weekend we can more done

I thought it was the other way-

Vinyl roof= plastic filler
No vinyl= lead

Hmmm, I'm not an expert and what you are saying makes more sense, but this one for sure had lead and no filler of any kind. Maybe a "Friday" car that the lead pot people wanted to finish off a batch on hand. I'll get a close up shot of this. Thanks for the clarification

Interesting.

Maybe because it's a "halo" top.

Yup the corners of the "C" pillar are definitely leaded with a large gash in between that may have had body fill at some point. The dry Colorado weather and years in a yard probably degraded any of the fill, or there was none since it got a vinyl treatment. Got the inside back together ( ish) , windows meet the seal 100% ! Fighting a partially frozen stud on the waterpump. Its soaking and I'll give it the torch tomorrow. Then the car should be fully mobile and good for yard drives at least. Then its back to work and save for a windshield , this aint a Roadkill build with bottomless corporate sponsors ( really don't like most car build shows on TV , they distort the hobby and instill false hope into the "everymans" dreams..don't get me started).

Yup the corners of the "C" pillar are definitely leaded with a large gash in between that may have had body fill at some point. The dry Colorado weather and years in a yard probably degraded any of the fill, or there was none since it got a vinyl treatment. Got the inside back together ( ish) , windows meet the seal 100% ! Fighting a partially frozen stud on the waterpump. Its soaking and I'll give it the torch tomorrow. Then the car should be fully mobile and good for yard drives at least. Then its back to work and save for a windshield , this aint a Roadkill build with bottomless corporate sponsors ( really don't like most car build shows on TV , they distort the hobby and instill false hope into the "everymans" dreams..don't get me started).
"this aint a Roadkill build with bottomless corporate sponsors ( really don't like most car build shows on TV , they distort the hobby and instill false hope into the "everymans" dreams..don't get me started)."

Well said.
One piece at a time.
You're doing some nice work
there. :thumbsup:

Thanks! Waterpump in! Took a full 10 minutes on the seized stud with propane torch to pipe wrench it out, It was the one that holds the power steering pump adjuster and I did not want it snapped off in the timing chain housing. Today was first round of mud on the splice areas and its looking pretty good. Having parts cars on hand makes the hunt for "smalls" much easier. Got the interior panels on as well. Getting closer....

Sorry I haven't updated on the Frankenrunner myself lately

Two jobs will do that to you :bs:

We're getting the windshield put in now, then as soon as we get the brake booster in, I'm taking this thing for a spin, dammit!

Auto Transport Service
Back