• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I trust this forum more than the wheel fitment guide on a website

OneWheelPeel

Local time
11:02 AM
Reaction score
I'm considering some wheels and the title says it all so I will ask you guys if I'll run into fitment issues.
First the car, 1969 Coronet with manual drum brakes and manual steering with a stock 318. Also stock suspension and height.
Those specifics won't be changed anytime soon. Let's see if I can paste a table with the info:

Summit says it won't fit, but it seems anything that isn't a 14 inch rim won't according to them. Do you think I will run into fitment issues?

Thanks!

You'll be much happier with the look and feel of 60's series tires with more stagger to match the wheel width stagger. Something like 245/60/15 front and 275/60/15 rear.

First thanks for the replies, looks like if I go that way I won't have any problems.
Second & third I had a post about how wide is too wide for manual steering and those wider tires seem past what would be comfortable. Also it seems that would be beyond recommended width for those rims?

Now that my main question seems to be answered I'm open to suggestions for a different wheel/tire combo if its in the same price range and will not make slow speed steering a pain. I'm not going to mess with my alignment to make the steering easier with a wider tire at this point which I have seen suggested.

One question, before I read further in this thread.
Two door or four door? (The wheel openings aren't the same).

Five inches of backspace on the rears MAY be a bit too much, BUT.... I LIKE too much backspace compared to not enough. Spacers can be used to put the tire exactly where you want it.
You can probably go to a 275, certainly a 255 on the rear.
Just pick 60 series or 70 series, depending on how tall you wanna be.
Personally... 70s don't drive as well as 60s, but I like the way they fill an opening.
Edit: the 15x7s on the front should fall on the car. Good fit.

Second & third I had a post about how wide is too wide for manual steering and those wider tires seem past what would be comfortable. Also it seems that would be beyond recommended width for those rims?

If you can tell that there is any substantive difference in turning effort with +20mm of tire you are some kind of savant. The tires fit within the recommendations for those rims no problem.

If you can tell that there is any substantive difference in turning effort with +20mm of tire you are some kind of savant. The tires fit within the recommendations for those rims no problem.
Yeah I see what you are saying there, I asked in another thread about steering effort because my gut said I probably won't really notice but some seemed to feel a difference in what seemed a minute difference. I think I might err on the side of what looks cooler tho.

There'll be a difference between 165x80, and 235x60s, you'll feel it.
Difference between 205 and 225? Not so much.

Yeah I see what you are saying there, I asked in another thread about steering effort because my gut said I probably won't really notice but some seemed to feel a difference in what seemed a minute difference. I think I might err on the side of what looks cooler tho.
I've heard that too. I think people that say they can feel it is because the have hashed out suspension components that wiggle all over. I'm running 275/50-15 on the front of my 69 charger, with all new bushings, and it drives fine.

I'm willing to bet most hotrod owner-types know more about what fits THEIR car, than a website does. I bet if I ask them if a 16x33x15 will fit on a 69 opel (the tires on it right now) they'll tell me NO!

First thanks for the replies, looks like if I go that way I won't have any problems.

Now that my main question seems to be answered I'm open to suggestions for a different wheel/tire combo if its in the same price range and will not make slow speed steering a pain. I'm not going to mess with my alignment to make the steering easier with a wider tire at this point which I have seen suggested.
I went with a 225/60/70 tire on the front of my 67 coronet with manual steering, and I don't have any problems with steering it? And it handles great. And I run a 275/60/15 drag radial in the rear

You'll be much happier with the look and feel of 60's series tires with more stagger to match the wheel width stagger. Something like 245/60/15 front and 275/60/15 rear.
That is the tire sizes I run on my 65 Coronet 500

Mission accomplished.

IMG_0256.jpeg

Just putting a cap on this thread for future searches. I ended up with 246/60 15s on the front and the big unexpected test was creeping behind the businesses at the strip mall where I fueled up and a delivery truck blocked the way so I had to do a 3 point turn and it was fine. A lot of revolutions of the wheel but low effort.

Auto Transport Service
Back