• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I was transporting my 67 Satellite and managed to puncture the newer steel gas tank. Can I repair or need to replace?

tonyp25

Local time
11:55 PM
Reaction score
Ugh just can’t believe it happened.

IMG_9083.jpeg

If you can close up gash and have soldered shut I guess. Suck ir up and get a new tank. Save your sending unit and lock ring!
Clean Satellite 1.jpg

It could be repaired but I wouldn't do in-situ. You can't weld it with gas in it and even empty the vapours will ignite.

You'd have to remove the tank and do it properly.

I have had good results from the gas tank putty sealant for metal gas tanks. Clean it to bare metal first.

Slide hammer with a "hook foot" to pull it out and a big *** roofers soldering iron to solder in the gap.

New Spectra tank is about $160.00 at RockAuto. They are made in Canada, about 50 miles from me, not China. I have one in my 1967 R/T.

Last edited:
If it's never had gas in it, easy fix. If it's had gas in it, it probably needs to be boiled out by a radiator shop, before I would weld on it.
Hate to say it, but I'd give the gas tank repair putty a shot..... but plan on another new tank.

New Spectra tank is about $160.00 at RockAuto. They are made in Canada, about 50 miles from me, not China. I have one in my 1967 R/T.
Thanks that was my next question. I didn’t realize how many tanks were in the $150 range and most of the brands I do not recognize. Evan Fischer and JC Whitney sounded familiar but I have no idea of their quality. Sounds like Spectra is a good choice.

I can only tell you what I have done many times, and would do instead of spending $200, though the actual hole doesn't show well on my laptop. It looks like it would need a patch rather than the hole welded up.
I would drain the tank, stick a garden hose in another tailpipe and run exhaust into the damaged tank. To prep for welding, I run the hot carbon monoxide laden fumes until the tank is hot, then some more. I like to get it plenty hot as steel is porous and can absorb hydrocarbons.

It's funny to watch friends when it's done in front of them, they all get nervous and jerky as they back away

Just replace the tank, if you repair that one you will always be on a knee looking under the car.
All your jeans will have one knee with a hole.

Pretty sure almost all Gas tanks are made in Canada. I installed an Evan Fischer catalytic converter on my tacoma. It was an exact copy of the OE one prior to that I bought an ebay one that didnt fit and the flange angle was off pretty bad. Evan Fischer is good stuff.

Last edited:
Spend the $$$ for a new tank. This is also a serious safety issue as well. As a Canadian, I can't get over what you guys think is too expensive. I put a new tank in my R/T 2 years ago because the old one was leaking at the seam. I never even considered trying to repair it. Even though the Spectra tank is made close to me, they do not sell to the general public. Through Napa, Car Quest, etc, this tank was $550CAN, taxes in. I bought mine from Rock Auto for 350CAN, taxes and delivery in. I saved $200 over buying locally, and this tank was back and forth over the border twice!

CAN it be fixed ? Sure, by several methods, including mentioned here. Me, on my car... it's getting a new tank.

I feel the gas tank repair putty is a band-aid fix. Why dink around trying to solder or the danger of welding. You will forever be looking over your shoulder wondering if it is leaking. Just replace it with a new one. Money well spent.

158 dollars and an hour or 2 of time to replace. Or remove the tank anyhow and spend 4 hours cleaning it out and hoping the vapors are gone so you don't have a mini Chernobyl happen in your garage. Then hope the band aid fixed the problem. Just replace the tank my man you will be ahead of the game.

New tanks are easy to find and reasonably priced...and good quality.

The labor to fix yours is probably more, even if you do it yourself.

Remember to reuse your OEM sending unit lock ring.

The repro ones are too thin and bend, then leak, or come completely off.

Also, the gasket on mine lasted less than a year. I replaced it with a red toilet ring gasket and that has lasted over 10 years.

Agree the repro elbow hoses are a HUGE ripoff.
Thanks for posting the Gates part numbers.
I've gotten mine from Yogi's rod parts but shipping has gotten out of control.
Those Gates #'s will save time and money!

Auto Transport Service
Back