• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Idle solonoid for 1970 440 6 pack

superbirdtom

Local time
2:14 AM
Reaction score
hey anyone- i dont want to pay $500 for an idle solonoid- Ive heard theirs an alternative one that looks similar and is much cheaper ??? anyone know thanks!!

There was a very poor reproduction available for quite some time. However, I do not see it via a quick search.

I have some nors but they are packed for Carlisle I will see what I have left afterward. Think they were 125 each DR1114429

hey anyone- i dont want to pay $500 for an idle solonoid- Ive heard theirs an alternative one that looks similar and is much cheaper ??? anyone know thanks!!
I had to make my own out of a Standard Motor Products ES110 (rock auto $65.00) and either angle iron or square tube. My 528 hemi did not allow the full size anti diesel solenoid to fit due to the non siamese intake runners. In case you run out of options, this may work for you. It works perfect on the hemi intake. 528-6 2.jpg

I had to make my own out of a Standard Motor Products ES110 (rock auto $65.00) and either angle iron or square tube. My 528 hemi did not allow the full size anti diesel solenoid to fit due to the non siamese intake runners. In case you run out of options, this may work for you. It works perfect on the hemi intake.View attachment 1688663
1720041940585.png

I had to make my own out of a Standard Motor Products ES110 (rock auto $65.00) and either angle iron or square tube. My 528 hemi did not allow the full size anti diesel solenoid to fit due to the non siamese intake runners. In case you run out of options, this may work for you. It works perfect on the hemi intake.View attachment 1688663
ok - ill go on rock auto and ck it out. thx!

Just look up the price for the vac advance. 6 month only and a weird arm so you are stuck. NOS only so no returns. It's always a crap shoot had to buy three once to get one that worked in both functions. $485 ea! Stupid system. Emissions thing only. Get the solenoid on the carb but on the vac advance why? No spark when the key is off. Actually talked to the guy that was made to design it. Even he thought it was a joke but checked the fed boxes off for emissions that year on the HP cars.

This is on my GTX with AC, but the mount was really for a Holley carb. Bought the solenoid and bracket from Summit Racing for reasonable amount. Not cheap but not not $500 either. Rock Auto might be cheaper.
IMG_1210.jpeg

Lot of money to do a points car.

My Charger and ‘Cuda didn’t have them when I bought the cars back in the 80’s. I just adjusted the idle speed to 750 RPM. Chrysler set the idle at 1000 RPM on the 440 Six Pack for lower emissions at idle speed. But it was so high the engines would diesel sometimes. So the solenoid held it there when powered by the ignition on. The best thing I did to the Six Pack carburetors was to drill out the metering plates on the outboards, and remove the lead plugs on them to richen the idle mixture. Yellow springs as well. It was all in the DC Engine Manual.

I have had a sixpack car for over 35 years. I have never had an idle solenoid on it and never needed it. Two pumps and starts right up every time and never diesels when I turn it off.

I have had a sixpack car for over 35 years. I have never had an idle solenoid on it and never needed it. Two pumps and starts right up every time and never diesels when I turn it off.
IMO.....my '70 GTX RS23V0A****** has the hot idle solenoid and it works perfectly as intended. The HOT idle speed is about ~ 1200 RPM because of the cam. The off idle speed (solenoid de energized) is about 700 RPM and had a poor idle because of the cam. The solenoid assembly was built by GM/AC-DELCO for Chrysler. Is it necessary ?? For an authentic looking/presenting vehicle.....yes. Some people say no...yet most agonize over the price but spend an as much or moreu on paint or wheels/tires or a sound system or what oil to use or wax to apply......you pay your $$$ and take your choice.....I prefer authenticity.......
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back