• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Idle solonoid for 1970 440 6 pack

Understood. I can appreciate authenticity also. However, with the air cleaner on, no one can see it or not. I have a decent Hyd. F.T. Comp Cams .564/.564, 251/257 @.050 Xtreme Energy camshaft and it idles around 900 rpm with over 60,000 on this engine so far never with any issues. I just never felt it was justified to pay the big bucks for one when it's not needed.

Well authenticity can suck it when something stupid like that solenoid costs $500. I’ve never had one on any 6 pack/barrel I’ve ever had and never had an issue. Sure if you have a V code car and are trying to make it stock in every way then you don’t have much of a choice but for everyone else they are a waste of money.

Well authenticity can suck it when something stupid like that solenoid costs $500. I’ve never had one on any 6 pack/barrel I’ve ever had and never had an issue. Sure if you have a V code car and are trying to make it stock in every way then you don’t have much of a choice but for everyone else they are a waste of money.
I have an unlimited (almost) budget.....the cost is immaterial. It even has the totally functional reverse lock out linkage (4 speed must be in reverse b4 steering column can be locked out and key removed); A34 Super Track pack, with PS pump oil cooler and orihional AM radio, and rear window DEFOGGER, origional Holley carbs, original Prestolite dual point distributor (recurved). If you cannot afford the $$$ to maintain authenticity....fine......i am not "everyone else" and PREFER the authentic appearance......my choice.....
BOB RENTON

I have an unlimited (almost) budget.....the cost is immaterial. It even has the totally functional reverse lock out linkage (4 speed must be in reverse b4 steering column can be locked out and key removed); A34 Super Track pack, with PS pump oil cooler and orihional AM radio, and rear window DEFOGGER, origional Holley carbs, original Prestolite dual point distributor (recurved). If you cannot afford the $$$ to maintain authenticity....fine......i am not "everyone else" and PREFER the authentic appearance......my choice.....
BOB RENTON
Well good for you Mr. "unlimited budget"... you are EXACTLY what all of those sellers are waiting for. I guess someone has to buy all that crap (which is most cases was ripped off when the car was new). Hey if you "PREFER" authenticity good for you, but personally I "PREFER" hotrods and cars that someone other than the manufacturer made. Doesn't take a lot of creativity to bolt on a stock piece. Bone stock vehicles are great for a museum but are BORING to many to include most of those those who bought them brand new.

Hey each to his own but when you weight in on something like this with somewhat of a condescending attitude of "if you are not going to buy the right part then why bother" or "if you cannot afford the $$ to maintain authenticity..." Its not a matter of "affording" its a matter of why spend a pile of money on something that you don't need, has limited use or there is a cheaper alternative for?

But again, there are lots of parts sellers waiting for Mr. Unlimited Budget...

BOB RENTON
Well BOB why dont you BLESS him and buy it for him? You can afford it .

Well BOB why dont you BLESS him and buy it for him? You can afford it .
Doesn't sound like he believes he needs or wants one......I Already have 2 spares.....like the old San Francisco 49ers......gold is where you find it (look around).....or invest wisely and ye shall be rewarded.......it all depends on one's personal philosophy.......it all comes down to: wants, needs, desires and affordability......
BOB RENTON

A buddy was ripping some cruise control stuff off his 72 and I saw the solonoid come off
Couple years later I am gather parts for my 6 pack set up and asked if he still had it so I grabbed it and just need to figure out what to use for a bracket
The solonoid looks just like any pictures of originals I have seen

Holley 46-74 on a custom-made bracket.
DSC08086.JPG

20190713_213621.jpg

Last edited:
What is the going rate of an original nice used 429 idle solenoid?

I just helped a friend sell his original 429 for $450. I can rebuild any of the solenoids with NOS parts. The reproduction ones are junk and the ones you see on eBay do not work. I only have a few NOS parts left but I can still repair them. Send me a pm.
Mark

Auto Transport Service
Back